.224 cal 64 gr BSB Field Test

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I was able to field test the new .224 cal 64 gr Bonded Solid Base bullet out of my M700 VLS 22-250. I had a young coyote come in and I held center mass behind the right shoulder at 50 yds and sent the BSB on its way at 3374 fps. The song dog spun and ran about 40 yds. Closer examination revealed a heart shot which might explain the 40 yard sprint.
Expansion looks to be decent, even though no big bones were hit.
Exit wound...
IMG_07951.jpg

Entrance wound...
IMG_07961.jpg

I really like the performance of this bullet and hope to test it out on a few more coyotes this year.
For now, I would say this is my coyote bullet.

JD338

Nice Jim, you are having a really good season so far :) The bullet looks like it performs well.

That is great Jim! Yeah, I am kicking myself in the but for not grabbing some of them when I had the chance. It looks like a very sturdy bullet and that exit hole looks very modest for 50 yards with a 22-250.

Good stuff Jim! I know what i'm gonna try next in one of the ARs. May even give Scotty a few to try? Maybe :mrgreen:

Awesome performance.

Can't wait to load up my .223rem with these 64g BSB and test them on Florida Hogs.

Way to Go...

35R

Tom,

My plan was to shoot a crop damage WT deer with this load through the shoulders but the land owners do not care for 22 cal rifles for deer hunting.
They like the big magnums and liked what they saw with the 338 RUM.
No doubt this bullet will blow through WT deer shoulders.

JD338

Nice shot placement Jim, way less damage than an amax. looks like it would work perfect for deer and antelope .

Jim, sorry to hear your whitetails are so tough they can only be killed with a RUM. Must be some good crops.

Well, if not you, I sure hope someone on the board gets to perform a whitetail field test for us. This could prove to be one heck of a little bullet.

I'm thinking they might make a very good wolf load as well, now that they opened up a season here on them.

onesonek":32ktby9f said:
I'm thinking they might make a very good wolf load as well, now that they opened up a season here on them.

Dave,

I think it would be an excellent bullet for wolves.

JD338

My wife wants to use her 22-250 for her doe tag this fall. I might have to see if I can get my hands on some and give them a try.

Sure looks like they wrok good for yotes.

Be a great you bullet for a 22-250 with a young hunter. Shots would be short and recoil would be easy on them.

JD338":3msbjg0a said:
onesonek":3msbjg0a said:

Dave,

I think it would be an excellent bullet for wolves.

JD338

Only if they run a lot further than 40 yards. :)

I'm thinking if you aim a little further back that will be just about perfect.

Back