Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 3,347
Alaska":rm1nh80f said:
I would also like some BBC bullets in

.308 either 180 or 200gr
.338 in 225gr or 250gr

I'll take any Bitterroots I can find find. If I don't have the right rifle I'll get one! :twisted:

The BBC has long held the throne when bonded bullets are compared, and your photos and results are first class, however I do see one flaw: Scotty you got to stop bitting your finger nails!!!!!

That is VERY impressive! It seems some people don't believe a 338 WM will push a 225 bullet anywhere near 2900. I get about 2950 with 225 accubonds and haven't recovered a bullet after 3 elk kills but I know they don't look like that! Nice pictures by the way !

Yeah I get 2900 from a handful of powders with my 338. Pretty easy most of the time.

I like those BBCs but a 225 AB or PT is no slouch at all. Be just fine with that sorta bullet for elk hunting or anything else for that matter.

Just saw this.Good thread and test Scotty.

People are frequently surprised that the BBC expands so widely, yet still manages to penetrate pretty deeply; maybe not always like a mono but still more than far enough.

Steigers used to tell me this was not only the good design, but if you section one you will find the jackets are very thick,clear up through the ogive.

Also,Bill was very fussy about the copper and lead that he would accept and use in his bullets,since that can affect expansion characteristics. If the stuff was too brittle,it would shear under stress instead of giving that broad frontal area. The high weight retention is what kept the bullet moving forward despite large frontal area.

The bonding of the lead helped support the expanding jacket. You will not see many BBC's shear its petals under stress of high impact velocity as has sometimes been common with monos.In fact, the faster you drive them, the better they work.

Bill felt that it was important that the bullet maintain a nose forward attitude in the game because that's how bullets are designed to expand properly. His tests (he was a ballistician for Vernon Speer) told him that faster than normal twists also improved the bullet's expansion performance and helped maintain stability and straight line penetration.

They will penetrate even deeper at distance as velocity falls off IME. I have not used anything better myself.

I have accumulated quite a few over the years and the 225 BBC was one of them. I sold those off after deciding that the 375 was the only medium bore I needed.

But I still have plenty to last me..... (y)

No, they aren't for sale.

Oh, now that's just cruel!

Like showing a pirate's treasure chest, but full of GREAT BULLETS instead of gold coins...

Guy Miner":2n2oxhc5 said:
Oh, now that's just cruel!

Like showing a pirate's treasure chest, but full of GREAT BULLETS instead of gold coins...

He torments me with that picture every now and again Guy. :lol:

I love the danged bullets. To this day for the normal BG Hunter, I haven't seen a bullet that looks better coming out of animals or out of the jugs. I've posted pictures of Bob's recovered bullets and they look just about the same.

Guys I did not buy them all at once.....I had a standing order with Bill through the years. Plus friends who stopped hunting sold me their own supplies.

They just reproduced.

OH we're not knocking how you acquired them or owner ship. 8) Just the picture rubbing it in is cruel. :roll: :lol: But Scotty needs someone to pick on him once in a while. :mrgreen:

When its all said and DONE on the bullet show, after all these years the BBC is still the KING, and the true cornerstone by which all the others get judge against! Even with all the computer programs and wizzards they have trying old Bill was the master!

35 Whelen":17m94oi1 said:
When its all said and DONE on the bullet show, after all these years the BBC is still the KING, and the true cornerstone by which all the others get judge against! Even with all the computer programs and wizzards they have trying old Bill was the master!

35: All very true. Bill's Bitterroot was 20,30 years ahead of its time,and set the gold standard for bonded bullet performance. They were the first and led directly to the Aframe, Jack Carter's TBBC. They perform as well as anything of their type today.

But there really is no reason to lament their passing,and the young guys today have a far more diverse array of hunting bullets available than when I started accumulating those Bitterroots. Back then there was nothing but Nosler Partitions and BBC's.(When you could get them).

But today we have Swift Aframes, North Forks, Tipped TBBC,Accubonds,TTSX,and others I can't think of right now that will provide similar performance. Over the counter.Today is the golden age of hunting bullets

other than Swift.... Northfork and woodleigh is the stuff !! Like that the jacket doesn't split.

Back