225 TBBC 338 Win Mag 2800 FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
These were some leftovers I got from my father when I reclaimed my 338 Win Mag. He borrowed my rifle for a brown bear hunt, elk and WT up in Saskatchewan. He seemed to like the combo pretty well and it shot well out of my old 338 Win Mag. Haven't tried it in the Pre64 for accuracy at all, but I can see why he liked it so much. The box says 2800 muzzle velocity, but I have not chronographed them from my Pre 64 yet.

It was found in the 6th jug. Weighed 209.0 grains and expanded to .735". Pretty impressive for a 225.

Here is the bear that was taken.

Here is a bullet that smashed the front legs of the bear. There was another shot or two into the bear from what he tells me as well. No other recoveries though.

:) ..yup, that's the original TBBC Scotty, awsome pal!..I'd like to see that bullet go over the chrony 8)

Nice Bear too!
Lou

Sako 85":2iwwwrr6 said:
:) ..yup, that's the original TBBC Scotty, awsome pal!..I'd like to see that bullet go over the chrony 8)

Nice Bear too!
Lou

I will get it over the chrono one of these days. They were really accurate in my old 338. Should be decent in my new one as well.

Yup, that load would put a hurt on about any critter. They always performed well for me when I was buying them from Jack Carter.

Nice looking bear Scotty and I can see why he did not like those TBBC's :mrgreen: I know 1 thing the only ones I could find were stupid expensive but I should have ordered all 5 boxes but just was not to sure my 338-378 would shoot them well ! It does like 225 gr bullets and hoping I can get them to act rite in the Accumark as I am thinking they should be in the 3000 fps range if not a tad faster! I will get them across a chrony one of these days!! :roll:

SJB358":79qb8zr6 said:
I'd shoot the heck out of them if I had them.
:idea:
I well run a .375 300gr @2600fps TBBC into some jugs Scotty :twisted: ..Now you got me going pal! :grin: :twisted:

Almost exactly the same performance as the 225 gr 358 version, great performing slug for sure. Since they are now unavailable for us handloaders it is nice that North Fork has stepped to the plate with the same basic design in a wide range of calibers. The 150 gr in the 270 Bee sounds really neat for a general purpose load........

You would really like the Northforks. From what I see of them, they are very good bullets. I believe they would be very good from a 270 Wby.

If you can find any of these, they might be worth a shot as well.

Dang, those would be something right there Terry.. You should get them, they'd be perfect for your 7mm Weatherby! :lol:

Scotty, I've shot three Elk at 110 yards, 194 yards and 326 yards with a 225 Sierra prohunter out of my .338RUM and recovered bullets in two of three Elk. They look exactly the same as the ones shown in your pictures and retained weight was 184 grains and 188 grains. The partitions I've recovered from Elk are about 20 grains less in retained weight for a 225 grain bullet. Interesting to note the perfect mushrooms.

Great info BRM. Love to see one of the 225 Sierra Pro Hunters range into the jugs to compare. Sierra's PH series seems like a fairly tough bullet when used in the over 30 calibers. Your results are certainly pretty awesome.

Man you had me searching my box hard for a 7MM but I have too many non Roy creations as it is :lol: I have figured out where the ABLR's are going :mrgreen: nothing the 270 Roy can't fix or take care of and if it does not I will just pull out the Lazer .25 bore :lol:

Back