225gr Sierra Game King - 358Win

CatskillCrawler

Handloader
Jul 30, 2011
I've been wanting to test this bullet out for a long time and finally got around to it today. Distance to jugs was 25 yds and MV is 2450fps. Retained weight was 194.5gr. :shock: Yeah, I was very surprised. Expansion diameter = .783". Found between 5th and 6th jug.

225grSGK_C.jpg

225grSGK_A.jpg

225grSGK_B.jpg

225grSGK_D.jpg

225grSGK_E.jpg

That's AWESOME performance! Wow, that just might be another great bullet for the 358. Seems like it couldn't have done my better!

SJB358":2zazdaob said:
That's AWESOME performance! Wow, that just might be another great bullet for the 358. Seems like it couldn't have done my better!

I couldn't believe what I saw stuck in between those milk jugs! What expansion and retention! Unfortunately it was the last SGK I have loaded or I would have repeated the test. I'm going to have a competition with IMR-3031 and W-748 soon to see what's going to be my final load with this bullet. When that is complete I'll repeat this test.

If the 225gr PT didn't shoot well in my BLR I would have no problem using this bullet for anything. Sierra told me in an e-mail that this bullet was designed for the Whelen. I've taken three deer with this bullet and the deer seemed over-matched to say the least.

I've always had good success with the GK bullets, especially in my .358. Great report. Thanks for posting.

Excellent performance. Very accurate bullet.

JD338

CatskillCrawler":2a8kkobx said:
SJB358":2a8kkobx said:

I couldn't believe what I saw stuck in between those milk jugs! What expansion and retention! Unfortunately it was the last SGK I have loaded or I would have repeated the test. I'm going to have a competition with IMR-3031 and W-748 soon to see what's going to be my final load with this bullet. When that is complete I'll repeat this test.

If the 225gr PT didn't shoot well in my BLR I would have no problem using this bullet for anything. Sierra told me in an e-mail that this bullet was designed for the Whelen. I've taken three deer with this bullet and the deer seemed over-matched to say the least.

Yeah buddy. I have alot of them, I bought from another shooter. I might have to load some up and get my Browning back to the range. Haven't shot it in awhile. Your pushing me a little here. I was going to monkey with the 220 Speer, but maybe I will load some more 225 Sierra's up. They shoot identical to the PT's. Matter of fact, I used the Sierra's first, to see what they would do in the 358, then used the PT's for finish up. That bullet lacks nothing at 358 speeds and looks more like a premium than most would believe.

Nice test & photos. I think Sierras perform a lot better than people give 'em credit for, particularly at standard, rather than magnum velocity.

I'm going to continue to use them for deer and bear as they lack for nothing in this application. I possess almost 300 of them so Im good for life. I'll use the PT for elk again but wouldn't hesitate to use the SGK either.

I really wanted to check out the Speer 220s as I have a warm spot in my heart for Speer bullets but I may just settle for this combo and move on to figuring out a 158gr plinker load.

Time to clean up the BLR and ship it out for some trigger work.

Guy Miner":3jbd610e said:
Nice test & photos. I think Sierras perform a lot better than people give 'em credit for, particularly at standard, rather than magnum velocity.

Good point, Guy. I've always found Sierras to perform well for me at velocities between 2000 and 3000 fps. Distribution of Sierra products can be a bit of a problem here in the far north. Thus, I shoot fewer of them than I might otherwise shoot.

That is awesome! I have used the exact same load from my BLR on antelope with great success.

CatskillCrawler":1godx3af said:
SJB358":1godx3af said:
CatskillCrawler":1godx3af said:
Time to clean up the BLR and ship it out for some trigger work.

Where are you sending it CC?

http://www.neiljones.com/

Don't know of anyone else who plays with the BLRs. Never read any bad press about him either.

That's the same guy I was going to have monkey with my rifle. I am waiting to hear how he does CC. Do you have a gauge to measure the pull weight now? Just to see what changes?

CatskillCrawler":3cqdvba0 said:
Mine breaks at a creepy 8.5 lbs. I would be extremely happy with a clean 4lb trigger.

CC, any update on your trigger. I would gladly send my BLR out to him if you give us some updates on it.....

I held off on some projects this summer due to the furlough from Sequestration. It hit me pretty hard so I held onto my fun money so that I didn't leave myself short for the important stuff. I also made an impulse buy on a NIB S&W 4" Model 19-3 right before the furlough announcement.

So my 30-06 BDL is still a .308" bore and not .358". My BLR still has a rough trigger and I still use a balance scale for reloading. I do have a very sweet Model 19-3 though. :mrgreen:

Back