150 gr Partition / 175 gr win powerpoint milk jug test

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
My son and I went out to the farm today to conduct some milk jug tests with my Tikka 7 mag. We first tested a 150 gr Partition with 64 gr IMR 4831 going 2967 fps. Bullet was caught in the 6th jug with 70% weight retention and good mushroom.

The 175 gr win powerpoint factory load surprised me by going 2910 fps. The bullet was recovered in the 4th jug. The expansion was very impressive, the recovered bullet measured .721 inches in diameter. The weight retention was 65%.

For what it is worth I am very happy with the performance of the Partition. I plan to load these bullets for deer this upcoming season.

Both sound good, do you have any pictures of them? That is some impressive speed from those 175's. After the performance of the 150 gr PT on a black bear a couple of weeks ago by a youth hunter we took out I would use them for anything from deer to moose and expect great things. You test definitely confirms how good they are.

The milk jugs were 35 yards down range. I will try to learn how to take post pics. I have not learned that yet.

I'm also in KY, Nelson County. My son got his first deer rifle about 2 months ago, as a graduation gift. It's also a Tikka T3x, in 7 mag. I'm teaching him to reload and we're working up some loads for it.

ReloadKy":bjk1u9b1 said:
The milk jugs were 35 yards down range. I will try to learn how to take post pics. I have not learned that yet.
Do you use tapatalk?
If so, there should be a grey square to add pics.
With a Computer, there is 'upload attachment' somewhere down the page. Just click search, choose pictures and post.
Would like to see the bullets!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

That old 175 Powerpoint is a good one. Pretty sturdy bullet for a fairly economical bullet.

Looking forward to some pictures!

I see them left and right.
Perfect mushrooms. The PT lost quite some lead on the front part - as expected

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

That's very respectable performance out of that Power Point. The Partition looks like they all do, lead core clown off the front a decent frontal area left behind.

My old 7 mag used to shoot those old white box 175 Power Points real well.

The only reason I have the powerpoints is by chance. I went to walmart after Christmas and I saw a whole shelf of the 175 powerpoints on sale for $10 a box!! I asked the lady working why they were so cheap and she said they were just going to not carry that ammo anymore. So I bought two boxes. I thought to myself the brass is worth at least $10 a box, lol!!

ReloadKy":m689dexr said:
The only reason I have the powerpoints is by chance. I went to walmart after Christmas and I saw a whole shelf of the 175 powerpoints on sale for $10 a box!! I asked the lady working why they were so cheap and she said they were just going to not carry that ammo anymore. So I bought two boxes. I thought to myself the brass is worth at least $10 a box, lol!!

Oh yeah, stuff like that makes me buy a rifle to fit them.. :mrgreen:

Nice test! Both bullets performed well.

I'm impressed with the 175 gr factory load doing 2910 fps... (y) That's what can be done with a 7mm Rem mag, but seldom is.

And of course your Nosler Partition performed exactly as a Nosler Partition should. :grin: Good choice.

Guy

Guy I was extremely surprised by the 2910 even a bit skeptical. So skeptical that I thought that possibly my magneto speed had an error. So I went back and looked at some older data that I shot back in the winter and I had a 3 shot average velocity of 2867 with the powerpoints. I am guessing that the difference would be due to the warmer temps now compared to then.

Nice to see the old power point still hanging in there. When I was a kid and was only able to shoot factory loads, it was always the old style 130 silver tips. And also the 130 power point both in 270 winchester. I had alot of success with those two bullets. I'm probably the only person on this forum that has still yet to try the Partition, shot plenty of accubonds. Guess I'm gonna have to finally get a move on it and finally give the old Partition a shot. I'm still a sucker for old style bullets with exposed lead for whitetail. Maybe give them a go in the 30/06 or the little 275 rigby.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back