240 WBY

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
So I got this 240 WBY in a vangard S2. Been playing with 87vmax/RL22 for about a year now and nothing has been consistent. I started at the lands and worked down to .050" off and still nothing consistent. I'm looking for 3/4 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards off a bench. I don't have a whole lot of experience with wbys but I know the freebore cam cause accuracy issues. However, I am able to reach the lands perfectly fine and have plenty of room in the mag box still. According to my fancy measurements, 3.270" is at the lands and I started at 3.265" and worked down to 3.220" I notice factory ammo is seated to 3.1" or so. The 240 wby is suppose to have .170" freebore so if I was to load a few at 3.1" they should be about .170" off the lands. I am going to try a few this way, I for one haven't had much luck stuffing bullets that deep in conventional cartridges so I wonder if I'm wasting my time? Velocity is 3400-3500 at 54.5-56g RL22. Extreme spreads are pretty erratic as well. Lastly, would you even do 5 shot groups or just stick with 3. This is my dedicated coyote rifle so it needs to be very accurate.

My rifles typically demonstrate they prefer a bullet weight or range of bullet weights. If you haven’t tried other bullet weights that could help.

You could also try other powders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a little over my skill level.
One of the WBy techs said packing the powder consistently is king on accuracy and neck.

I’d suggest anealing.
I hear about drop tubes..but I don’t know how to use one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy these:
https://hammerbullets.com/product/243-c ... er-hunter/

Shoot faster and more accurately than you're doing now.
I suspect that with a slightly faster powder and the 70gr Hammer you could see 3800fps.
Feel free to contact the owners at Hammer if you have load development questions.

My 270 shot 0.784 at 200 yards with the 117gr Hammer just before I took it to WY for antelope.

Just a satisfied customer.

I've never annealed anything in my life, nor used drop tubes. Load density is not that high to where I need one either. I really want the 87g v max in this rifle. It's the heaviest varmint bullet, gives decent speed, fairly good BC, they're cheap, and I know VMAXs are accurate as I've shot thousands of them in 222/223/22250/220 swift/243/2506, etc. RL22 is suppose to be one of the "go to" powders for this cartridge offering speed and accuracy. My rifle may just not like RL22, so I am also going to try some H4831 with these 87 v max next time out, as well as seating them to factory OAL at 3.1" If it still won't shoot, I will then try some 80g or 90g NBTs with RL22 and H4831 as well. It wants to shoot, so hopefully I can find something before the weather turns cold.

I would post pics of the targets, but i don't know how to downsize the images from my phone. I tried uploading them and was told the files are to big.

Got same rifle and also struggled with powder charge and OAL. Finally got sub MOA out of Nosler accuracy last ad with IMR4831 (53 grs, its max ) and 87 VMax at 3.210 OAL. Does 3425 fps.

Work up to it. Don't have my not s on jump with me but it's quite significant. Took a bit to skin this cat but all came together.

I use R22 with 100 gr bullet, 53 grs there too, and have had good results.

Good luck

Rem,

I have a Vanguard Wilderness in the 240 Wby. Even though every rifle is different, I'd suggest giving RL-26 a try. This powder has worked extremely well with a variety of different bullets in my 240...better than any other I've tried. In fact, my most accurate load, which is also my Coyote load, is RL-26 and the 75 Gr Vmax. Shoots consistent .5-.75 groupings at 3700 fps. Absolutely devastating on yotes. Also, don't be obsessed with seating close to the lands. More often than not, I've found my best accuracy further and not closer to the lands.

I have the 240 BackCountry and shoot the 70 Varmageddon and 90 AccuBond at the length published by Nosler. I have always had luck right around the charge weight they say is the most accurate for each powder.

Use 54gr R19 with any 87-90gr bullet. Start with CCI BR2 or similar. If your groups are vertical, try a Fed 215M. Have a ball pard!

I know that Weatherby freebores their Mark V rifles, but am not sure if Howa freebores the Vanguard or Vanguard 2 rifles. might be worth checking into. May make a difference.

I know that Weatherby freebores their Mark V rifles, but am not sure if Howa freebores the Vanguard or Vanguard 2 rifles. might be worth checking into. May make a difference.

As far as I know, the .240W is not designed with freebore. I had a LW Accumark in .240W without it and a custom made up, the reamer was w/o it too.

Back