Wby Wilderness 240 Wby Mag 105 HPBT RL23

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
My cousin's son (also my cousin I guess :lol: ) and me wanted to get his Dad a nice little deer rifle that was fairly light and easy shooting. We texted back and forth a bunch and finally settled on getting him a Weatherby in a 240 Wby Mag. So we ended up going with their Wilderness version. It advertised it was a pretty light rifle, so that's what we did.

Ended up with a Swaro 2.5x10 in Leupold Backcountry rings it finished at 7lb's 7 ounces.

I got some Norma 240 cases, and decided to try RL23 with the little guy. Most of the data that looked good, used RL22 to good results so I figured 23 would be just about as good and it's been very good to me lately, so I cracked the jug, loaded up a few rounds and went to work.

I had 3.345 to the lands in this rifle and that is where I started with the Hornady 105 grain HPBT. Speeds looked pretty good across the board so I decided to give 53 grains a go. First three shot group was two touching and one out about 1/2-3/4".

I shortened them .005 and shot about the same group. I went another .005 shorter and shot this.

I figured I'd stop right there..

Hopefully I will hand the rifle over to my cousin's son this weekend and he can present it to his pops. The opener is a few weeks away still, so they can get to the range and do their own zeroing but I think it'll make a sweet little buck getter.

Works for me!

Ever use those HPBT on big game Scotty?

That'll do. It is always gratifying when a rifle doesn't require multiple attempts to obtain the results you want.

FOTIS":1lkalsyu said:
Works for me!

Ever use those HPBT on big game Scotty?

Yeah Fotis, if I had to compare them, I’d say they’re like a 95 BT but with better BC. They’ll go 3-4 jugs and hold up real well. They’re kind of a sleeper Bullet, pretty inexpensive, usually pretty accurate and just wicked on animals, deer sized.

That came together quickly. Can't beat that kind of accuracy and if they hold up as well as you say Scotty, and I don't doubt you, that's quite a nice little long range load. Weatherby is turning out some nice rifles these days.

That should do the trick Scotty! Almost identical to what Im shooting out of my 240. Be using mine for coyotes though! I'm sure they'll smack the deer pretty good as well. Keep us posted!

Nicely done Scotty. That rig shit pile up the venison.

JD338

We gave him the rifle this past weekend and he was floored. Wasn't expecting that rifle at all.

Him and his boy took it to the range and he shot a tiny little group at 100 and banged the steel a few times at 312 yard steel. I am pretty sure he is ready to hunt!

That's just great Scotty. I bet he was floored, that is a really nice surprise for him. Let the deer slaying commence :)

gerry":3w25e1yt said:
That's just great Scotty. I bet he was floored, that is a really nice surprise for him. Let the deer slaying commence :)

I can't wait myself Gerry!

Very glad the young man can handle that! Keep an eye on that SuperMashburn... he’s going to be coveting that before long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A really thoughtful surprise. So pleased to hear that he is working with it. Without a doubt this will spell doom for more than a few deer.

DrMike":spjezm32 said:
A really thoughtful surprise. So pleased to hear that he is working with it. Without a doubt this will spell doom for more than a few deer.

I think he will carry it quite alot. Very nice little rifle. That 240 Wby is a screamer though...

Is it bad that I barely run across a cartridge I don't want for myself? :lol:

SJB358":12cntzvq said:
DrMike":12cntzvq said:

I think he will carry it quite alot. Very nice little rifle. That 240 Wby is a screamer though...

There are darn few cartridges I haven't dreamed of owning. Haven't always felt that way about rifles, but I sure do feel that way about cartridges. Even now, as I'm selling off a number of the rifles that lurk in the recesses of my safes, I dream about picking up a few more. :shock:

DrMike":38fylrs3 said:
SJB358":38fylrs3 said:
DrMike":38fylrs3 said:

There are darn few cartridges I haven't dreamed of owning. Haven't always felt that way about rifles, but I sure do feel that way about cartridges. Even now, as I'm selling off a number of the rifles that lurk in the recesses of my safes, I dream about picking up a few more. :shock:

I know the draw is too strong to stay away from rifles too long...

I hate waking up early in the morning when the clock reads "4:44," or "3:58," or "2:22," or ... It's as if I am receiving a message from heaven! :shock:

DrMike":2k3kejei said:
I hate waking up early in the morning when the clock reads "4:44," or "3:58," or "2:22," or ... It's as if I am receiving a message from heaven! :shock:
You mean it’s not??? [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back