243 and 30 H&H range day

Yup that is what I am doing till I burn out the tube!

Nice work Fotis , I picked up a stainless X7 in 30-06 when Marlin pulled the plug on them. Yours is a shooter for sure , mine not so much. I see you are getting hooked on RL-26 to :grin:

Fotis, 95 gr Berger VLD might stabilize based on your good velocity and assuming mostly higher elevation use?

It has a nice BC improvement over the 95 BT. Some guns are difficult to get it close to the lands where I ve had best luck. One way to find out! That RL26 is kicking them out of there quickly!

Nice shooting Fotis with both guns! Glad to see they are working out. I think both Boyd's and Richards microfit make stocks for the XL 7, if you decide it's a keeper. It sure shoots like a keeper so far I'd say. I can't remember if the synthetic stock makers have one for the XL 7.

desertcj":23nkjtbk said:
You sure got that .243 shooting good! With a 10 twist, if probably just stick with that 95 BT.

Yup that first group with the 243 looks like a mere mortal shot it....MAYBE me on a really good day. The next TWO look like a Fotis.... :) . Maybe we should coin a new phrase/ term? Nothin wrong with a mere .243. CL

Fotis,

I bought a Marlin XS7 in .243 several years ago, when they were still being made. Mine has the Connecticut manufacturing marks on it. It shot well, so I bought one for my son. And then when I heard that they were shutting down production, I found one on closeout and bought it as a loaner/parts gun. They are all good shooter; I have shot sub-.5" groups with mine, using the 95BT's and IMR 4064 at about 2950 fps.

If anyone's looking for something like this, I think CDNN has the last of them on closeout for about $249. When they're gone, they're gone.

IMG_0145.JPG

desertcj":1zrmixie said:
You sure got that .243 shooting good! With a 10 twist, if probably just stick with that 95 BT.

The Hornady 105 HPBT works fine in a 10 twist.

Nice work as always! The "cheap" 243 outclasses its price point for sure! The accuracy potential of some today's "entry level" rifles is almost unbelievable. In the hands of an experienced hand loader, they can really drive tacks! A fella I hunt with has a Win XPR in 270 wsm, and that "cheap" rifle is a real shooter, too.

Once again Fotis, nice work at the loading bench and the shooting bench!

Yes, the little Marlins are a great rifle, and it's a doggone shame to see them out of production. I wonder... If after the reorganization of Remington and all that... Will Marlin be independent again? Doubt it, but it's a thought... Or if anyone else will start making that nice rifle again? The tooling must still exist... Someone just needs to buy the tools and the production rights...

The Number One... Interesting how so many people claim they "won't shoot." I haven't found that to be the case at all.

Nice work. I like the two cartridges too - you really could hunt most (all?) of North America with those two rifles...

Cool info on the scope - I looked at 'em after your recommendation, but couldn't quite figure out what I'd do with yet another scope hanging around here... Maybe I should figure some more.

Guy

30-06 or 25-06 with turning turrets maybe?

Not sure. I sat them at max COAL

Back