.243 brass to .22-250 brass

critterskinner

Beginner
Sep 21, 2009
I have a Remington Model 700 vls in 22-250. When trying to seat a bullet (50 grain Nosler ballistic tip) just off the lands, my losk-n-load shows that the bullet is out of the case. I thought I read on here where a guy was resizing .243 brass to get a longer case. Is this possible, or what can I do? The best group I have gotten is a .678" @ 100 yards.

Try different powders, bullets, and seating depths.

There is a little room for improvement with a .6" group, but not to much really. I'd say your doing just fine with a factory rifle.

If you want 1/4" groups, you gotta do lots of experimenting, or just get real lucky, or rebarrel it.

Heck, remingtonman, you gotta do a lot of experimenting and get lucky to get a .25" group consistently!

I'd be very wary of trying to get a longer case, though. The chamber and neck area in your rifle is cut to accomodate the SAAMI spec case. If you go longer than that, you're going to crimp the bullet when the neck of the case gets to the end of the chamber where it reduces into the throat area, and that's going to give you a nasty pressure spike.

You can`t change the brass geometry with out changing the chamber. You`re rifle is designed to use SAAMI spec brass and any lenghtening or other changes will make a wildcat cartridge out of it.
I`d forget the lands if you can`t reach them, and seat the bullet 1 caliber (.224") deep in the case. Work up a max load or load to the point that shows the best accuracy. Then tune it by seating the bullet deeper in 0.005" increments. i think you`ll find a sweet spot that will improve on what you are now getting.

critterskinner":2xygkqc5 said:
I have a Remington Model 700 vls in 22-250. When trying to seat a bullet (50 grain Nosler ballistic tip) just off the lands, my losk-n-load shows that the bullet is out of the case. I thought I read on here where a guy was resizing .243 brass to get a longer case. Is this possible, or what can I do? The best group I have gotten is a .678" @ 100 yards.

Case OAL for the 22-250 is 1.912" trim 1.902". Most of my new Win 22-50 case are 1.900" to 1.905" after they are fired and neck sized they become shorter in the neck length.

I assume your asking if you can use 243 cases to lengthen the neck. I've never poster here about that but you can. You can have some problems with neck thickness doing it, RCBS sell a inside neck reamer die for around $150. If your experienced with neck turning and have those type tools be easy plus that way you can custom fit the neck to your chamber.

I used some 243 cases to make 6x250 and 22-250AI cases.

I agree with Rem 25-06 might want to try some longer bullets may 55gr or if it's a fairly low rd count fired you can have the barrel set back
rechambered and have it throated for the shorter bullets.

Well good luck

So I can just resize .243 brass with my .22-250 die? The gun has only had 50 or 60 rounds through it. How much would it cost to have the barrel setback and rechambered? The gun is not custom it is a Remington Model 700 VLS.

Sure you can resize 243Win brass to 22-250 and end up with a longer neck. It is, however going to exceed the length of your chamber, potentially. If you measure the neck length of your chamber (Sinclair International sells tools for this) then you could, in theory, resize 243Win brass, cut it to fit your chamber, and the either neck ream it or turn the outside of the necks and end up with brass that just fits your chamber. Of course, you'll have to trim it after any stretch, as you'll be at the end of the chamber neck right from the start.

If you just resize the 243Win brass to get a longer neck, you have the potential of having the brass neck exceed the length of the 'neck' portion of your chamber. When this happens, the neck is forced (swaged, really) into the smaller diameter throat area of the chamber/barrel, which should be nearer to bullet diameter, and thus significantly smaller than the outside neck diameter. All this is fine, except that now you've crimped the neck into the bullet (which increases pressure) and you've swaged it into a space that will allow zero expansion as it's already tightly fit, which also raises pressure. So you'll pull the trigger and probably pop the first primer, and be lucky if you can get the bolt open.

The advice above about finding a sweet spot at shorter COL's is dead on. I have a 270Wby that you just cannot seat a bullet near the lands - there's not enough case neck. And yet, with the right COL, I can show you any of about ten or twelve loads that will shoot under .75", and among those, several which will consistently shoot under .5". Without any semblance of closeness to the lands. In fact, with the Nosler E-Tips, I've learned to seat even farther from the lands to achieve consistently good accuracy. Good luck with your rifle. I'd stop worrying about trying to lengthen the necks and just learn what the rifle's sweet spot is. Of course, if you've got a load that will consistently shoot under .7" at 100yds, and this is a factory rifle, that's pretty much the definition of sweet spot in my book.

critterskinner":3uxj6zzj said:
So I can just resize .243 brass with my .22-250 die? The gun has only had 50 or 60 rounds through it. How much would it cost to have the barrel setback and rechambered? The gun is not custom it is a Remington Model 700 VLS.

You can also get a RCBS 22-250 trim die to form those case and that give you the right case length they give instruction on how to trim then just need reamer die and they give insrtuction with that die also.

Like I said "You can have some problems with neck thickness doing it, RCBS sell a inside neck reamer die for around $150. If your experienced with neck turning and have those type tools be easy plus that way you can custom fit the neck to your chamber."

You would have to check with some gunmsith in your area as to cost on cutting a new chamber.

As you can see lots of ways to form those cases it just takes time and money. If there is a way to get your address I'll make up 10 cases using 243 cases and send them and you see if thast help before you spend alot of money on something that may not work.

Back