243 wichester & Deer

jr1968

Beginner
May 20, 2007
I was wondering if aynbody use a 243 for WT? I would like to know if I should use 95 gr bt's or 100 gr partitons ? Range will be 0- 200 yards at most.

Thanks Guy's

jr1968.

Either one would work but I would lean towards the 100 gr PT. It will handle a shoulder up close and still take out the vitals.

JD338

JD338":zzu3a694 said:
Either one would work but I would lean towards the 100 gr PT. It will handle a shoulder up close and still take out the vitals.

JD338

+1 to what JD338 said.

Whichever shoots the most accurate in your gun would be my pick. I decided on the 85 barnes tsx recently because my rifle shoots 85-95 grain bullets the best. Maybe nosler will make an e-tip or AccuBond someday??

I used my 243 for about 30 years and always used 100 grain bullets. That's what "everybody" said I should use. They seemed to work so I had no reason to go lighter.
The majority of the deer I shot were one shot kills. The key is to hit them where they live.

Hi
I used 1oogrs Partition for roe-deer, wildboar and chamois from 35 to 300 meters in my Remington Mohawk with best results, always with exit holes and enough blood to find the game.

The 243 is a great deer/antelope round.If your longest shot will be 200 I would go with the PT,I prefer the BT myself but really don't need the extra BC at that range.What ever bullet you use put it where it counts and get out the skinning knife 8)

I have been trying to take a deer with my new .243 but nothing has popped up yet. I am using 85grain barnes TSX with 34 grains of varget. I will let you know how it goes when i finally get a shot.

Back