.243 Win Advice

boldaddy

Beginner
Nov 14, 2008
I use a .243 rile for Mule Deer in Oregon. Does anyone have any advice on which bullet is preferred?

The Partitions come in both 95 and 100 grain. Any idea why they are so close? Is one better than the other?

I've always assumed that the Partitions were the best. However, I see a lot of praise for the balistic tips and the bonded cores.

With that, I'd love to hear what advice might be out there.

Thanks,

Glen

From what I understand, some .243's have different twist rates, some won't stabilize the 100gr bullets. ( I have one of these). The ballistic tips "come apart" more than the partitions or accubonds. I've had great success with all three bullets, however, I'd lean towards the Partition or accubonds, personally. Find out your twist rate on your rifle, call Nosler tech department and ask for suggestions.

If you keep your shot under 300 yards I think the 90 or 95 grain bal tip will do the job quite well on Mule deer! Or how about the new E tip in a 95 offering?

I have shot the 90's and so does a friend his wife killed an antleope a few weeks back at 310 yards ranged, it dropped it in it's tracks the bullet performed well!

I use h-4831 SC powder and 43.5 grains with a 26" barrel will get me 2935 FPS. I would love to see a 90 AccuBond that would be great!

Keep those bal tips off of bone and I think you will find they are sufficant on deer either muley's or white tails.

The preferred twist rate for these larger bullets 90 grain and above is 1-10 minimum and 1-9 is even better. If you have a remington that has been made in the last 10+ years it shouldhave a 1- 9 1/8 teist rate!

boldaddy

Welcome to the forum, happy to have you here.

The 100 gr PT is a great bullet for the 243 Win and that is the bullet I would recommend you use for your deer hunting. The AB would also be an excellent choice, providing good penetration. This is key since you don't start out with a lot of bullet weight and when show time comes, you may not have the classic broad side shot.

JD338

Back when the 6mm Remington was called the .244 Remington the Rifles Remington Produced had a rifling twist rate of 1 in 12" and they would often not stabalize 100 grain bullets. My best guess was Nosler made the 95gr. Partition so it would work in either twist rate.

I've shot a lot of Whitetails over the years with both the .243 Winchester and 6mm Remington. However I have never used a Nosler Partition. I have used 85gr. Speer Spitzer Boat Tails, 100gr. Speer Spitzer Boat Tails, 100gr. Hornady BTSP Interlocks, 100gr. Sierra Spitzer Boat Tails as well as 100gr. Remington PSP Core Lokts. All killed deer.

When I discovered the 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips is when I started having Deer drop in their tracks. This bullet in my opinion turned the .243 into a really deer killer. BUT as has been stated stay away from the shoulder bones.

I loaded the 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips with H-4350 Powder in a 1 in 9" Twist Ruger. I sure wish that .243 would have shot Varmint Weight Bullets as well as it shot the 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. I think the largest 3 shot group from the bench at 100 yards I ever fired with 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips in that Ruger was like 5/8".

There are a lot of good bullets out there for the .243. Put a good bullet in the right place and you'll be using your knife.

Larry

Larry, at what ranges have you found the 95 ballistic tip to kill like lightening and do you hold behind the shoulder?

I have never had a deer walk away from a 95 grain BT. I load it for my son now and he made a magnificent shot on his first deer. it ran 2 50 foot circles and ran out of the field and crashed about 10 yards in the brush. about 75 yards in all. took out the bottom of the lungs and the top of the heart.
Great bullet for the 243
JDMAG

JDMAG":t9n9gp7t said:
I have never had a deer walk away from a 95 grain BT. I load it for my son now and he made a magnificent shot on his first deer. it ran 2 50 foot circles and ran out of the field and crashed about 10 yards in the brush. about 75 yards in all. took out the bottom of the lungs and the top of the heart.
Great bullet for the 243
JDMAG

The longest shot was just under 250 yards with the 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. The farthest any of the Deer I shot with that bullet traveled after the shot was one doe that made about a 30 yard circle after the shot and collapsed almost exactly where she was standing when hit. One made two leaps and collapsed, while another one collapsed on the spot where it was hit. Unfortunately I do not currently have a .243 so I have not collected any further info.

Larry

boldaddy":2ytbfa5u said:
I use a .243 rile for Mule Deer in Oregon. Does anyone have any advice on which bullet is preferred?

The Partitions come in both 95 and 100 grain. Any idea why they are so close? Is one better than the other?

I've always assumed that the Partitions were the best. However, I see a lot of praise for the balistic tips and the bonded cores.

With that, I'd love to hear what advice might be out there.

Thanks,

Glen

AB's or Partitions work fine. I also have used 100 grain Hornady bullets,
Varget is a very accurate powder in My Model 788 Remington 22 inch barrel. consistetly less than MOA

Accubonds would probably work great but there are none in 6mm. Maybe someday there will be some in 85 grains. I can only hope.

Back