243 WSSM with a Richards stock

CamoWildcat

Beginner
Mar 20, 2006
Just wanted to post a couple pics of my new stock. 243 WSSM Mod 70 Super Shadow, Alaskan Guide 6.5-20x52 Scope with 30 mm tube, Leupold rings and bases. Glass bedding and stock finishing done by me as a do-it-yourself project. Stock is a Richards Stock "Wildcat Thumbhole" in Camo Laminate.
Win70243wssmNSR.jpg

Win70243wssmNSL.jpg

I really like the colors---but what is that cut in the stock for? Does your cheek "fit" in that or is that to give your buddies a black eye when they ask you if they can shoot it?

Dave

How comfortable is it to shoot with the stock cut like that?

Dave,
Are you referring to the thumbhole? I now own 2 with the 'thumbhole' and just ordered a third. The other day, I was shooting the two 'thumbhole' stocked rifles and a third with a standard composite stock. Near the end of my shooting day, the standard stock started to feel 'un-natural'. It may not look it, but the stock pictured is the most comfortable to shoot of all my rifles.

Bill,

No...not the thumbhole....I understand the purpose of that. What I am asking about is the "pikes peak" cut in the stock about 5" behind the thumbhole.

Does your cheek fit in this stock cut-out? I guess I've just crawled out from under a rock, but I've not see a stock with this kind of cut before. My first reaction is on a heavy recoil gun, it would give me a black eye.

I'm not tryin to be cute here...I'm just askin.

Thanks.

Dave

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Your cheek rests in that 'saddle' formed by the two points of the cheekpiece. Looking at photos, I didn't particularly like the looks of the stock and definitely thought it would be an uncomfortable stock to shoot from. But I had an opportunity to visit Richards on one of my Cal road trips. While there, I shouldered the 'Wildcat Thumbhole' and was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it felt. And it looked a lot better in person. It is by far my most comfortable shooting stock and I just ordered a second one for another rifle.

Hey, that's a sweet looking rifle! I have the same gun but no custum stock. I just recently got and have been trying to come up with some good load data for it. Do you have any sugestions?
Thanks,

Keith

Back