velvetant

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
I just put down some money on a Winchester featherweight in 243.
I almost got a Winchester sporter deluxe in 325 WSM but it was not a Featherweight.
DRMike, I blame you for my new found featherweight addiction :grin: :grin: :grin:
I would like to use a 90-95 gr NBT for play and a 95gr NPT for serious work.
Powder choice H4831sc to start with.
What is everyone here using?

Those Featherweights are beautiful, and all shoot very well for me. I have, however, converted my 243 to 338 Federal.

IMR7828 works very well for me in my daughters mod 700 243 with the 95bt's. :grin: :grin:

IMR 4350 has worked good for me and H1000 works really good in my 26" savage with 95 VLDs, 105 A-Max, and 105 Nosler custom comps.

The 95 gr Ballistic Tip is a very serious deer bullet. Accurate, and very lethal.

Easy to like a nice Winchester....congrats post some pics if you can. and your range results. CL

I am the same as GB, shooting 45.5gr of IMR7828 with the 95gr Ballistic Tip. I am not sure on the speed out of my boys 243, but I imagine it will be plenty fast enough for deer. Another good one that surprised me was IMR3031. That got me 2900 with the 95gr PT and excellent accuracy. It seems to like a bunch of powders. Scotty

Your load got my about 3K fps from most of the 243 I have worked with.

I am getting 2850 out of a 20" barreled M700 243 with 45.5gr of IMR7828 and the 95gr BT. Excellent and consistently accurate. Love it. I wanna jack it up a little, but I will wait till after deer season. Scotty

for varmints I shoot 55 gr Nosler BT's and for larger game the 85 gr. Barnes TSX. 4831. but we recently tried 8202 xbr

that is a great powder. Same results over a grain diff in charge.

I think you might be over looking a wonderful bullet combo in the .243 and that is the 100 grain Partition. I use the max load of 7828 and get great results from my Winchester M70 Featherweight. I have killed coyotes out to the quarter mile mark and it is a combo that has accounted for a lot of deer including some very big muleys. It will break both shoulders and exit at 300 yards. The deer is DRT (dead right there). If there are no griz around it is my go to deer rifle. The muzzle velocity is just over 3100 fps. I use to load some other mid combos for the 243 but found that the 100 grain PT were doing just as well and I did not have to rezero. I still load the 55 grain BT for smaller varmits but that has more to do with being cheap.

Nalgi":3ouwl885 said:
for varmints I shoot 55 gr Nosler BT's and for larger game the 85 gr. Barnes TSX. 4831. but we recently tried 8202 xbr

that is a great powder. Same results over a grain diff in charge.

I have gotten very close to 4k fps out of a 22" barreled Savage with Win 760 and H414.

Finally picked up my 243.
It's got a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40 with a B&C reticle with a set of temporary base/rings.
I'm going to put on a set of Leupold duel dovetails when I have some extra funds.
Now when is Nosler going to get the 90gr Accubonds out :grin: :grin: :grin:
IMG_0001-1.jpg

Randy,

You did well. I picked one up about six weeks ago, and immediately arranged to turn it into a 338 Federal. It was well built, and likely I should have at least used it a time or two. Big Red is making some great rifles again.

velvetant

Beautiful rifle, congratulations.
I had excellent accuracy with a M70 WXT 243 Win using 95-100 gr bullets and IMR 4350.

JD338

That rifle/scope can handle low rings with the Leupold Dual Dovetail setup, just sayin. :wink:

Back