243 90 grain BT load with H4831SC?

BretN

Handloader
Jan 22, 2015
Anyone have a good 90 gr BT load in 243 Win with H4831SC? I'm developing this load using Hodgdon data and it shows 48 grains as the max with a 90 grain Speer bullet, which seems kind of high as max on a 95 grain Partition is 44.5 gr.

So, on my first attempt I stopped at 44.5 gr and the load was just starting to show some accuracy promise and no pressure signs. So I've loaded up another batch from 44.5 to 46.5 in .5 grain increments. Even at 46.5 gr, the powder does not fill the case completely so it isn't even a crushed load. Still, it makes me a little nervous when I'm working off data not either from Nosler or Sierra when I'm using their bullets. I know their data is conservative, safe and almost always most accurate, which is why I use their bullets and data. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Gun is a Ruger No 1B with 26" barrel, Fed brass, CCI 200 primers

Bret

Pretty sure that 48 gr or 49 gr is where you will find max. Just keep going up in half grain increments and pay close attention to the primers. Do you have a chronograph? You should be in the neighborhood of 3200-3300fps with a 26" barrel.

Back