25-06 CDL

I am going to try the 120gr PT's and probably some 115gr BT's. Seems like either of those would be some great performers. Either way, I am sure I will try a bunch of differnt bullets before I am through. Looking forward to ying these little bullets out. Scotty

Scotty
Great choice on the model for the 25-06. The CDL stock has a great look to it. As I've said I'm going to try and fine a used one for my 6.5. The 110 ABs look interesting. Maybe the best choice for the 25-06s velocities. IMO any way. I used Hornady's 120HPs in two for a couple years with good results on deer and antelope. I'm thinking the 110 AB would be a better choice though. I going to run a box through the 257 Bee at 25-06 velocities and see what kind of accuracy I get. Then try them out next year.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I have one CDL in 35 Whelen and it fits really well. I like M70's alot, but the CDL's are great looking rifles and seem to be of good quality. I haven't had any issues out of the Whelen, so I decided to take another chance on it. The 100.00 rebate didn't hurt anything either! I may try the Accubonds also. It kind of all boils down to what bullets I can get as 2nds. That is what dictates most of my reloading, plus, I have been loading one BT load and one PT load for my rifles and seems to be a good way to have a hitter load and one varmint/deer load. Scotty

Just think of it... With a .25-06 and a .35 Whelen, a guy could hunt any big game in North America with confidence. And he'd have a matching pair of good looking, sweet handling rifles... Dang... Tempting isn't it?

A match set 35 and 25. Had exactly that till some SOB came into my home and stole the 25-06. Then the "peace" officer that investigated charged me with unsafe storage of firearms. Of course the judge threw it out of court but the lawyer cost me $1200 at the time.

Yes, Jim, and had they caught the cretin that stole the rifle, the courts would wag their finger at him and tell him not to do that again.

But if I would have caught the ..... an other story completely.

So glad we are out in a rural area now and don't have to lock the doors at all. And there are more places to bury the body if you catch them. LOL

After that comment I'm probably on a RCMP watch list. LOL

Picked the rifle up. Looks pretty good. Nice wood and everything seems to be pretty nice on it. The trigger is really good? I put a question on that cause I wan't expecting it. Never messed with the X-Mark trigger, but it seems pretty nice. Anyhow, the rifle looks pretty bare without a scope on it, but it will be a safe rider until I ante up for the scope and mounts. Scotty

The X-Mark is a fine trigger, Scotty. I believe you're going to really appreciate this rifle.

Here are a couple of pictures of the 25-06 CDL next to the Whelen. I didn't realize how dark the new one was. It is very nice. Overall, the CDL's keep me liking Remington. I am not a fan of their SPS's and such, but it seems like their BDL's and CDL's are still put together well and seem to be well built. It is driving me crazy just having it sit in the safe! It looks like it needs to be fired! Too bad the scope and mounts are just about as much as the rifle is! One of the pitfalls of getting a new one! Either way, I will have it set up in a few months. I am hoping it is a shooter.

DSC_1166.jpg

DSC_1167.jpg

DSC_1168.jpg

Just sell your other rifles to buy a scope for the .25-06. You don't need any more rifles with those two on hand! :mrgreen:

Your probably right about that. They are a cool matched pair. I couldn't trade away any of my others to do it though. I do have a VX3 3.5x10-50mm on a 7mmRM that I don't really use, but I don't like the 50mm objective, since you have to put it into high mounts. It is a REALLY nice scope, just not fond of the obj. Might be something to do in the interim though, till I can put another scope on it. Scotty

Here is a nice set of CDL's
http://donshobbyguns.gunsamerica.com/It ... Gun_Se.htm

Also, here is a Whelen I don't think you will beat the price on.
http://donshobbyguns.gunsamerica.com/It ... Whelen.htm

There are some nice ones out there right now. I keep fondling my 25-06 and have already planned out some loads I think. I need to get some input from the 25-06 shooters once I get closer to shooting it. Guy has already given me some good loads, so I will start with those. Need to snag up some 115gr BT's and maybe some 115gr PT's also. I have some 120gr PT's I can use for break in, but I would rather use something cheaper. Scotty

I paid for my 260 Rem CDL, ordered a Pac-Nor barrel to convert my 243 Fwt into a 338 Federal, ordered a new Hart barrel (14 twist) for my Whelen and verified that the 9.3 X 64 is in process. I guess I've committed to a lot of work over the winter months. It's tough trying to keep up with the Beretz'. :grin: But I am tempted to try to find a way to finagle the 35 Whelen in a CDL.

Mike, that M700 35 Whelen is one GREAT shooter Mike, it has a slower twist than the Ruger but shoots the Speer 250's into 2" groups at 300 yards. It makes me happy anytime I use it. Plus, it is such a great carrying rifle. I love it. I doubt you would be disappointed in one.

Mike, you are my M70 idol! When I saw all of your laid out, I almost fainted! I think people in SC are thanking you for their continued job security of some Canadian buying up all of their great rifles! Scotty

Well, I think I'll get this Hawkeye shooting well shortly. I was growing frustrated with its inability to stabilize 250 grain bullets. It was okay with 225 grain bullets. I'll have some work done on it and maybe get it to shooting well. The 358 Hawkeye is a tack driver, which is why I traded off my Remington Classic and bought the Hawkeye. Another bonehead mistake. The 350 RM is a tack driver. I'll wring out the 260 CDL soon. I have about six projects on the go right now (300 WSM in a gain twist barrel, another 300 WSM, a 300 Weatherby, a 308 Norma, a 338 Lapua and a 7 STW). That should keep me busy for a week or two. I really like the looks of that 25-06. I'll really be watching to see how it shoots. Any idea of what you will put on it for a scope if you don't put on the 50mm objective? I'm with you on not being enamoured of the larger objectives on my hunting rifles.

Mike, after writing back and forth with Guy a bit, I think I am going to go with an FX3 6X Leupold with the LR reticle. I am probably going to put it into some dual dovetail mounts and call it a day. I am not going to use that 50mm obj'ed Leupold, I am going to keep it on my 7mm Rem Mag. It works fine, and I don't wanna mess with it. If I don't use the straight 6X Leupold, I will put the VX3 4.5x14-40mm w/30mm tube, and the B&C reticle. I like that one also. I am really thinking the FX3 6X will be way more than enough for anything I would need. I really never use more than 6X while hunting, and while more power during load development is nice, I am not really handicapped with a 6X in the least. I hunted the whole first part of my life with the 4X Redfield on my 7mm Rem Mag and it did just fine. I like the simplicity and rugged nature of the set up. I shoot with both eyes open, so close shots with a 6X don't scare me either. I have some time to figure it out. I love the rifle. It is screaming at me right now to get shot. I hope it is a shooter. Can't wait to start putting some rounds through it. Pretty excited about it. Scotty

Back