25-06 CDL

Definately give mag primers a try with the Retumbo loads... it cut my groups in half vs. the standard LR primers.

Hang in there Scotty... maybe run some 100's through it. I've had more than one .25-06 that showed a large preference for the 100 NBTs vs. the 115s.

Scotty -

Crud - how'd I miss this post - knew you had a 25-06, but didn't realize you "just purchased it" CONGRATS !

Don't get discouraged with the first time out - That darn RADD makes us expect the first thing we put down that tube
is going to be a winner.
My .257 Bee did the same thing right out of the box - Some of the Viht loads really blacken the case and they are mid to max book loads. This one has been more finicky than any other I've worked loads up for - then the stock change and it was back to the drawing boards.

IMR7828 initially worked really well for me - now I'm using RL-25.
We all have our personal dislikes / "issues" Mine is Retumbo -

Sure you've already checked, but Action Screws tight ? I've slowly been switching all my fire poles over to Leupy dual dove-tail rings and yet to have any issues.

Good luck and keep us posted !

Good point with the Mag primers. Worth a try!

JD338

Thanks Mark and the rest of yall. On my way home I will grab a lb of 4350 and also pull the rifle out of the stock and rset it back into it. I like the rifle, just not the way it shot its first time out. Maybe I am being too hard on it, but I did nothing differnt to it than I did to all my other rifles. Scotty

Scotty -
Hang in there....my .260 CDL did the same thing. I think you will find a few rounds down the barrel will help. I used JB paste in mine as well to smooth out some rough spots in the barrel.
I haven't shot the 115's in my rifle, but the 110 AB's really shoot well. I am using R19 with standard 210M primers.

.my .260 CDL did the same thing. I think you will find a few rounds down the barrel will help. I used JB paste in mine as well to smooth out some rough spots in the barrel.

I did not want to hear this. I haven't even shot my 260 CDL yet.

Sorry Mike :p it was the most frustrating rifle I have ever tried to make shoot. Wasn't quite ready to make firewood out of it (whoa there Scotty), but did consider sending it back to Remington to see if there was something wrong. They are beautiful rifles, but I buy rifles to shoot well, not just look pretty. It did start shooting under MOA once I bedded it with accuglas and did trigger work. Not sure what Remington's expectations are for their rifles out of the box, but it has to be better than what I experienced. I have two unfired 257 Roberts LE's sitting in the safe that I am seriously considering selling and buying model 70 featherweights to replace them.

I buy rifles to shoot well, not just look pretty.

+1

I have few Remingtons. I bought a 673 chambered in 350 RM. It was a pain to get it to shoot. I put in a different firing pin, relieved the barrel channel and pillar bedded it. It does shoot quite well now. However, it was a pain. My 257 Bob (CDL SF Limited Edition) is still not giving me the accuracy I would expect. It is MOA, but I anticipate that I will have to bed it and do some farther work to wring out the accuracy I want. I have never had a Featherweight and was as finicky as these two rifles. The 260 CDL may prove to be another fussy project.

It sounds like several others have had problems getting their CDL's to shoot right out of the box, and have had to make abnormal adjustments to get them to shoot MOA or better. Scotty seemed to have good luck with his Whelen, and that was a big part in his decision on the 25-06 from what he has said. Not sure if that has the stainless fluted barrel like the SF LE models we are talking about. The recoil lug is fairly small in the CDLs, and bedding made a huge improvement for me. I played around with pressure points on the barrel, before deciding how much I wanted to bed. Only ended doing about a half inch in front of the lug channel. The 130 grain AB's shoot .5 MOA now. I'm just not willing to have to go through that much work for everyone of them.

Everyone I talk to that has purchased a featherweight from the NC factory has had great things to say about them. I have always wanted a featherweight (like the schnabel forearm look) and this may be the time to try one out. The fit and finish on the rifles I have handled all looked good. Winchester doesn't make it in the "bob" yet, so will need to pick a different caliber if I do it.

I've got a full stable of Featherweights (270 WSM (X2), 7mm WSM, 300 WSM (X2), 325 WSM, 280, 30-06 and building 338 Federal and 9.3 X 64 on Winchester actions in Featherweight stocks) from both the New Haven and the new factory. All shoot very well for me. I am prepared, however, to perform work on my CDLs, even voiding any warranty if necessary. Something similar to Scotty's experience happened with Ruger, however. I bought a Hawkeye in 358 that shot far better than it should have. It served to induce me to buy a 35 Whelen in a Hawkeye. I have finally ordered a new barrel for the 35 Whelen as it simply does not perform as I thought it should. We'll see what happens with a faster twist.

:shock: Wow Mike...that is quite a stable of Winchesters!!! Were they running a special on all the WSM's one day? :) I remember an earlier post of yours about getting the Whelen rebarreled, but didn't realize it was because it wouldn't shoot. Does Ruger have a pressure point on the forearm or are the barrels floated from the factory? I haven't had a model 77 since I sold my 280 in the mid ninties.

I really like my 358 BLR for hunting in the thick stuff, and happy with MOA groups. Don't think I have ever taken a shot in the woods that was longer than 75 yards. Critters don't go very far after being hit with that. I do like the idea of a 338 Federal, if for no other reason than to fill in the one missing link in my calibers based off the 308 case.

I love the Featherweight. Consequently, I left out my oldest Featherweight in 7mm RM. I've simply acquired them as they became available over the past twenty years. The WSMs fell into my hands with time. I bought one of the first 300 WSMs to come into this country, and it shot wonderfully well. Later, I added the 7mm WSM when it became available, and in a later purchase I picked up the 325 WSM. One day on the used rack I saw a 270 WSM, and not having one I picked it up. Later, I sold it and bought one of the new Carolina built 270 WSMs, as I also did one chambered in 300 WSM and 30-06. I just sold my New Haven 300 WSM this fall, and the lad that bought it used it to take a great six point elk with some of the ammunition I supplied him (180 grain Combined Technology Fail Safes at 2980 fps). My hunting partner is a dedicated Remington fan, deigning to refer to my beautiful Featherweights as "jack handles." What would you expect from a someone that can only be described as a firearm Philistine? No taste! On the other hand, he threatens that I may not come home one day when hunting with my 7mm WSM, although he believes the rifle will manage to make it out of the bush. Some friend, eh?

I should have spent more time on the 35 Whelen before I ordered a new barrel, but I had invested quite a bit of time and powder already. It simply would not shoot the heavier bullets well. It was minute of moose, to be certain. However, it was not really as accurate as I thought it should be and I could not generate the velocities I anticipated. The fit and finish on this rifle was terrible. The checkering on the stock was "fuzzed." I had to glass bed it and relieve the stock as it was binding in a couple of places. Everything considered, I finally opted to rebarrel it and do a little finesse on the action. We'll see how it works.

I have both a BLR and the Hawkeye in 358. Either shoots 0.5 inch groups with loads they like. Each is a delight to carry.

I can't say that I am enamoured of the 338 Federal, but I had a rifle (new 243 Win Featherweight) that would serve for donor action and stock. I have nothing in 338, and so I made a decision to go this direction. I have a Pac-Nor barrel ready to go on it. It should be a fine woods calibre for the game we have here in the north. Hopefully, it will be blooded on black bear this spring, along with the 9.3 X 64 Brenneke.

Featherweights

7mm WSM, 325 WSM, 7mm RM (l to r)

P7150121.jpg

30-06, 270 WSM, 300 WSM (l to r)

P7150119.jpg

280, 300 WSM (New Haven, l to r)

P7150120.jpg

Mike,

Those are some beautiful M70 Featherweights!

JD338

Mike -
I can tell you got to pick the wood out on a couple of those WSM's. The figure in the 270 and 300 WSM's is incredible!! Like we said earlier, don't care how pretty they are if they won't shoot. Now I have to get rid of at least one of the CDL LE Remington's in the bob for a featherweight. I want to wait and see if there are any new caliber offerings for 2011.

Joel,

The first run of Featherweights issued in 2008 were built with select wood. They had a lot of figure in the wood. That is why I traded in some other rifles to secure these. I'm a sucker for attractive wood. :oops: The fit and finish is excellent on all these, and they shoot very well. I see the same calibre of wood now being used to make the Featherweight Deluxe. Currently, this is chambered in 270, 30-06 and 270 WSM. They are certainly handsome rifles.

Back