25-06 Rem 100 ET's

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I have had a small itch to try the 100 ET's from the 25-06 for awhile. Speeds attainable look pretty impressive via the QL data I have received so I gave it a shot with RL26.

I shot three groups with three powder charges. The ET is .100" from the rifling measured with a Hornady OAL gauge.

The groups with all three were the same size. I am thinking they will have to go deeper to find accuarcy, maybe a little more powder as well..

RL26 is giving very good speeds though and I will continue trying to work it out. Probably start bumping up in .5 grain increments as well.

Anyhow, if any of you all have any pointers, I'd love to hear them. Don't get me wrong, I will get them sorted out, but I am all for saving powder if possible! :lol:

I sure to like the E-Tip. I can't imagine that it won't give excellent performance in the 25-06. I have a few on the shelf to work up in the Bob.

Scotty,

You will have to run some of those 100 gr E-Tips into the jugs up close and out at 300 yds.

JD338

I will give them another shot here soon. Soon as I can get back, anneal, tumble and reload. I'd like to get a good load out of these. I'm thinking if they push around 3300+ they should be ideal for the mono construction.

Very much looking forward to see what they do in the jugs.

I imagine they're going to be terrific. For a few years I used the 100 gr Barnes TSX from my .25-06, using H4350 powder, getting sub MOA accuracy and excellent penetration with a mv of 3340 fps. Killed a couple of mule deer with it, one real close, about 20 yards or so, the other at about 120 yards. I actually shot some of my old ammo with those 100 gr TSX's recently.

There were many stories about those TSX bullets not opening reliably in the smaller calibers, then the Tipped version was introduced, solving that.

And I really considered the E-Tip when it was introduced - ought to be a GREAT bullet - and eliminating the excessive copper fouling I got from the Barnes TSX.

But... I moved on to the 115 gr weight instead, Berger & Nosler.

Guy

You know how that E-tip turned my son's 6mm Remington into an elk killer at 350 yards with one shot behind the shoulder and she traveled about 20 yards Scotty!

90 gr. E-tip at about 3140 fps in his rifle if I remember right.

6mm Remington":30s90vnc said:
You know how that E-tip turned my son's 6mm Remington into an elk killer at 350 yards with one shot behind the shoulder and she traveled about 20 yards Scotty!

90 gr. E-tip at about 3140 fps in his rifle if I remember right.

Your part of the reason I'm trying this David. After seeing all the fun you had with the 6mm, I had to try it with the 25-06. Thinking it'll get them down range in a hurry.

With RL 26 I found lower ES's and better accuracy in every caliber and combo tested by using magnum primer, if that helps any.

Here's a little more shooting from today. Starting to get somewhere now.

I think 57.5/58 might be decent. Going to shorten them up a little more and give them another rip.

MAinAR":29gzazcc said:
With RL 26 I found lower ES's and better accuracy in every caliber and combo tested by using magnum primer, if that helps any.

And thank you. I may try a mag primer as well. Just to see what happens.

Okay, wanted to see how a standard BR2 and CCI250 would act with this load. Also tried 2 different seating depths in order to compare them.

CCIBR2 3.620 and 3.605

CCI250's same seating depths as above

Now, from this little test it looks like the standard primers are pretty danged good. I would like to finish this one up. I think a small tweak on the seating depth will get me there. They were running about 3400 last time, so those should be terrific at those speeds.

A one hundred grain E-Tip at ~3400 fps? Yeah, that could get the job done. It will definitely penetrate on about any game.

I'm curious why you are taking such big jumps in powder? Also, I mocked up that OAL and its longer than the 100 ETip and a case combined.

If you're interested in saving powder why aren't you doing a ladder test?

Wincheringen":1yk9mhvh said:
I'm curious why you are taking such big jumps in powder? Also, I mocked up that OAL and its longer than the 100 ETip and a case combined.

If you're interested in saving powder why aren't you doing a ladder test?

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the big jumps in powder? All of the recent ones were shot with 58 grains of RL26? Most all the rest has been done in 1/2 grain increments?

And, the COAL is sorta misleading, that is the measurement with the Hornady Comparator attached to my calipers, really, it is 1" less than what I have scribed, but since I started doing it that way, and all of my notes are annotated that way, so I am kinda stubborn to change..

I am kinda thinking I am pretty close with this one to be honest.

Here is where I'm at with the ETip. Thinking I might be close. The ETips have tested me pretty good.

Scotty that looks pretty good! Funny how my 25-06 likes mag primers and yours likes standard primers.

Do you have any H4350? Not sure you'd get to 3400 fps but it's accurate in my rifle. I haven't tried R26 in mine though, could be even better in mine.

My 25-06 bolt should be on it's way back from Lee tomorrow. He put a new pin in the bolt shroud, the pin was coming out. Matt noticed it first when we were hiking around looking for a meat mule deer last year. I guess Winchester made a bolt shroud for a couple of years that had a pin through it...and I just happen to have one of them.

I don't have any H4350 but I bet I could try some IMR4451 as well. I don't care if it is 3300 to be honest. That's just kinda where the loads fell out at. I may give it a try now that I've got the seating depth worked out some.

I dig the 25-06. Pretty cool deer cartridge. Feels like a 22 after shooting the 338 and 35's...

SJB, thanks for posting this info. I saw that you posted in my thread (New Member with a .25-06 Question) I appreciate your response. Nice to see some more E-tip work with the quarter otter.

No problem. Need to order another box or two of them but I think I've got a good load I could hunt with. I would like to put one into the water jugs as well. Should be a good show with them coming out of the muzzle at nearly 3400.

Back