25-06 w/115g Berger VLD's

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Got a chance to load a few 115g Berger VLD's up for my Rem 700 25-06 w/24" shilen tube. I used RL-22 and Win cases/Fed 210 primers, bullets seated to just touch the lands. I loaded 5 rounds each at 50, 51, and 52g RL-22 and shot them at 100 yards off a portable bench and a leadsled. I think with a little more tinkering, I can get them to shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA, but as of now, 50g shot the best, right at 1 MOA. I usually only do 3 shot groups, but decided to do 5 to get a better idea of the load. If I was only doing 3 shot groups, 50 and 51 both did 3/8", however the next 2 tell the rest of the story, lol. I usually never have any coyote, deer, or elk stand around for more then 3 shots anyways, so I think its kinda pointless to do 5 shot groups for hunting rifles. Anyway, here is the groups. Also did 57g RL-22 w/100g SGK. 1 was to foul the barrel before shooting the 115g VLD's, which is the 1 shot to the left of the 51g group w/the 115g VLD, then I shot the next 4 for a group. Not to great, but expecting a rifle to shoot the only load you work up for it for a givin bullet/powder combo is not to probable.

28svha9.jpg

I would try H-4831 SC and see what it will do? Not a big fan of the VLD's for hunting, myself I can get real good accuracy from the nosler 110 AccuBond no need for any other bullet for hunting IMHO.

I use either h-4350 or h 4831 SC still trying loads with the acu bonds and this powder. The AccuBond is a fail free bullet for killing coyotes to anything bigger I would use my 25-06 on. Good luck with those VLD's.

Remmy,

I would have thought those VLDs would have shot better for you. Maybe COL might make a difference.
Just curious, why the VLD over the 115 gr BT? Whats the difference in BC?

JD338

Have been playin' around with 115 gr Berger VLD's in the .25-06 myself. Shooting pretty well at the range, and I hope to have a good field report for all after the season... Just curious about 'em. Have also been loading some in my .308 and the .300 WSM.

I mainly use my 25-06 for a coyote rifle waaaay out there, so thats the only reason for trying the 115g VLD. I doubt I'll stick with them as they aren't really shooting all that great anyways...

If I was using it for deer, I would use a 115g NBT instead of the 110g AB. You dont need AB's for deer, and the 115g NBT and I have a proven track record for DRT kills out to 600 yards, plus there cheaper and have a higher BC then the 110g AB

I am just trying the 115g VLD's to see how they shoot as its about the ONLY bullet I havne't tried in my 25-06's over the years. The 115g NBT is actually a smidge longer then the VLD, but as you all know, the ogive on the Berger is a lot more aero dynamic therefor it has a .523 BC compared to .453 for the 115g NBT.

I am going to work on a 100g NBT load and probly stick with it for LR coyotes. I would use the 85g NBT, but I have a great load that shoots 3400fps with the 100's and they are within 1-2" of the 85g for trajectory, but they buck the wind a little better for the LR shots. I think it'll make a great LR coyote bullet...

I"m having a problem with neck tension so I cant seat the VLD's any farther then to touch the lands. If I try to seat them out .005"-.010", when I chamber the round and then uncahmber it, the rifling or lands pushes the bullet back to where it just touches, so thats what I"m stuck with...Kinda sucks, because I know for a fact they would shoot A LOT better in the lands a little bit.

You may not need a AccuBond for deer or goats but I sure do like them :grin: . They drop them like stones!

I shoot a fair amount of coyotes and have shot a few in that 500+ range and a Bal tip will do the job as well as many other bullets. I have went away from my 06 for coyotes and I have found the .243 to be ideal for coyote calling with an 80 grain bullet! I get decent FPS and liveable wind drift and range to 600 yrds with this setup, plus less recoil meaning I get to see more through the scope and less fur damage which isn't a big deal but was surprising to see even on thinned skinned summer coyotes.

Back