.25 something is what I'm going to build.

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
Haven't decided on final chambering but I have a fast twist(7.5) .257 Brux barrel and a bunch of 131gr Blackjack bullets. I'm considering several cartridges that I have parent brass and dies for already. 257 Roberts AI, .25 x 284 or a 25 Pronghorn(WSM). Most likely built on a win 70. The Rob Ai is a classic and pretty good performance. The 284 version has the best brass and is a little faster. The Pronghorn is the fastest; but, If I'm going for speed I might go with 257Bee although that would be a different action. Keep hoping Nosler will come out with a 257 ABLR!
You gentlemen have any input? Long range steel and deer/Antelope would be the goal.
TIA
Scott

Of those 3 choices and the 131BJ, I think I'd lean towards the 25-284. But for me it would be hard not to consider a 25-06 or '06AI, or are you trying to fit it into a short action

ADG is supposed to have WSM brass by December. You could also do a 25-300SAUM/IMP with ADG brass or 25 PRC with Lapua/ADG brass. If your trying keep it in a SA the 284 case might push the limits a bit as it's longer then the WSM/SAUM/PRC. If I wanted it fairly soon I'd probably do a Sherman short otherwise I'd have a reamer made and wait for the ADG WSM brass.

muleman":tgx17eyl said:
Haven't decided on final chambering but I have a fast twist(7.5) .257 Brux barrel and a bunch of 131gr Blackjack bullets. I'm considering several cartridges that I have parent brass and dies for already. 257 Roberts AI, .25 x 284 or a 25 Pronghorn(WSM). Most likely built on a win 70. The Rob Ai is a classic and pretty good performance. The 284 version has the best brass and is a little faster. The Pronghorn is the fastest; but, If I'm going for speed I might go with 257Bee although that would be a different action. Keep hoping Nosler will come out with a 257 ABLR!
You gentlemen have any input? Long range steel and deer/Antelope would be the goal.
TIA
Scott

The 25 WSM always seemed to call to me.. Bullets are appearing that are making it look pretty good.

Great project buddy. I can't wait to hear what you decide.

Muntjac":2k1ykcm6 said:
For speed and ease of components, hard to beat a .25-06
I agree.
I miss my 25-06 that I lost in the divorce. I was using the 87 grain bullet and took four antelope with it.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And my 25-06 has done a mighty fine job for me, though it has a standard Remington barrel. I only shoot more conventional bullets through it, primarily the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Danged thing is "hold on hair" at 400 yards, and a 257 Weatherby is even better!

Guy

Well this post planted seeds that appear to be growing in my head! I just found a NULA 24b in 6.5 Swede that will soon be rebarreled to 25/06 for a light weight caribou rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back