250 savage. Maybe a new build?

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
Ok I have been throwing around the idea of building a 250 savage I am a quarter bore nut job and want to put together a compact easy to carry on deer drives and on coyote calling hunts.

Originally I wanted to use a model 7 but I coubt I can find one for a reasonable price. then I got to thinking about the stevens rifles basically being the same as a savage and thought I may be able to takle this myself. Of course with the guidance of you all.

So my question is if I want a floorplate or detachable magon this rifle should I just get one of the savage package rifles that already has that which would likely cost about 150 more than a stevens or can I get parts for a detachable mag or floorplate for about the same money or less?

Also where is the best place to get a barrel.

And when looking at stocks for this if I opt to keeep the blind mag what one am I looking for it seems as tehy go off of hole spacing?

Here is the contact info for THE MAN on such projects; Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply:

briggs.j-b@q.com (that is Q.com not G.com)
Phone - 763/682-4296
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

He is on a distributor of Criterion Barrels, the button-rifled barrel producing subsidiary of Krieger.

Good luck. Sounds like a great build in an unbelievably pleasant-shooting little cartridge!

Thats the spirit !!!!!!!!! Get that new build off the ground and runnin'.

I am lookin' to replace a recently sold rifle with something NEW. Come first-lite, I will be at the Farm store where their new Savage and Remington rifles go on sale Friday.

Life is good,

Jim

Came "this close" to bringing home one of those Savage "AXis" rifles. $279.00.. Dont remember if they even have the standard savage "barrel nut" so a swap would be simple. I think the 250 is still in the catolog (I'm gonna go look) if so just buy one from savage. Or buy a stevens as you suggested and put a good barrel and a boyds stock on it...... Gotta recomend a 1:10 twist. Love the 250. Keep us updated. CL

As for a barrel blank,,,, I did a .250 AI awhile back. Had Pac-nor make me up Super-Match Sntls 3 groove. Awesome shooter at 1/4 moa or better.

onesonek":2tuz082n said:
As for a barrel blank,,,, I did a .250 AI awhile back. Had Pac-nor make me up Super-Match Sntls 3 groove. Awesome shooter at 1/4 moa or better.

Hey, you been holdin out on me?!?!? :grin: Pictures, details, etc? I dont usually go in for the bigger is better thing. But- a legitimate 250-3000 Savage Ackley Improved - I have been tempted to rechamber my 250. "The most successful (efficient) of all the Ackley conversions" gets my attention as would the potential for a 110 gr AB. CL

I have only owned one .250 Savage, a Model 70. I noticed that Savage was selling a Classic model 14, .250 Sav listed in their catalog. Personally, I would prefer a one piece action for better accuracy. I have found it is harder to make a DBM shoot as well.

Back