.256 Newton

I have scant hope of finding an original 35 Newton, but the 256 Newton appears to be available. It would be a fun cartridge to work with; and chambered in an original Newton, it would be very satisfying to my sense of history.

I will just also live through you vicariously, on the Newton. Just keep us posted. I am out on a limb enough with the 9.3x74R. But at least I can find cases and bullets for a decent price.

Oldtrader3":19pdtllj said:
I will just also live through you vicariously, on the Newton. Just keep us posted. I am out on a limb enough with the 9.3x74R. But at least I can find cases and bullets for a decent price.

True, dat. Charlie, one of the drawbacks of these older cartridges is the cost of components. Still, it is rather fun to touch history in this manner.

DrMike":c9oj8sts said:
Oldtrader3":c9oj8sts said:

True, dat. Charlie, one of the drawbacks of these older cartridges is the cost of components. Still, it is rather fun to touch history in this manner.

Without a doubt.. Plus, I wouldn't think it would be hard to make the 256..

Mike, is there any reason to not use 25-06 or something like that and neck up? Any other changes? You going to need me to come up and shoot it for you, I know they little sights might need some young eyes to get it zeroed!

SJB358":2jjzezw2 said:
DrMike":2jjzezw2 said:
Oldtrader3":2jjzezw2 said:

Without a doubt.. Plus, I wouldn't think it would be hard to make the 256..

Mike, is there any reason to not use 25-06 or something like that and neck up? Any other changes? You going to need me to come up and shoot it for you, I know they little sights might need some young eyes to get it zeroed!

Absolutely, I could use the 25-06 case. However, because of my predilection to use properly headstamped cases (even at the cost of ordering multiple units of components), the cost goes up. You know that you are welcome to come up and shoot my rifles at any time. You are correct that younger eyes might well be indicated in this instance. Heck, I may even need someone to point me in the right direction when I try to shoot a caribou or an elk. Get me within ten degrees or so, and I can hit any animal at five (three?) yards. :shock:

DrMike":111jqd4u said:
Absolutely, I could use the 25-06 case. However, because of my predilection to use properly headstamped cases (even at the cost of ordering multiple units of components), the cost goes up. You know that you are welcome to come up and shoot my rifles at any time. You are correct that younger eyes might well be indicated in this instance. Heck, I may even need someone to point me in the right direction when I try to shoot a caribou or an elk. Get me within ten degrees or so, and I can hit any animal at five (three?) yards. :shock:

Gotcha Mike. Sounds like a deal!

I was wondering for a cheaper person (me) if you could just use the less expensive brass.

I was wondering for a cheaper person (me) if you could just use the less expensive brass.

Absolutely. One of these days, when I retire, I'll revert to "wild type" and begin to use less expensive methods. Until then, I had as well spend my money as to let the guvmint spend it for me. :grin:

Back