26 Nosler for Moose

mkcj

Beginner
Jul 6, 2011
My son was drawn for a OIL Bull Moose tag here in Washington, What do you guys think about the 26 loaded with the 160 grain Woodleigh bullet? The 2 moose I have shot in Canada were both done with my 300 WM and 150gr Partitions and did great.

Your son will be good to go with the 160 Woodleigh launched from his 26 Nosler. Congratulations to him and best of luck in his hunt.

The 160 grain Woodleigh would do just fine. In fact, the 140 gr PT would also work.
Shot placement is king.

JD338

I'd think that would be awesome. I can't imagine you'll find it lacking..

What sorta speed do you get out of the 160's?

I'm not sure, in fact I just ordered 100 of them. so if anyone has any starting loads that would be great

Sorry can't help with starter loads but I can't wait to see how you make out with load work.

I just got my 26, not a round down the barrel yet but when I get set up the 156 Oryx and the 160 Woodleigh are on my list to try. I'm guessing by extrapolation that they can be driven at around 3100 fps at the high end

So after reading the write up in Hodgdons, he loaded the 156 Oryx and 160 Hornady interlock RN, both performed best with 81grs of US869 both just under 3000 fps. So I'll start just under that and work up and see what happens.

I did around 2900 or so with the 156 Oryx from my 264 Win Mag with some RL19. I'm betting with a slower powder I could've bumped it up a bit more. I'd thing the 26 Nosler has a bunch more room for coal. That thing should hit like a Mack with either of those long pills. I like what I've seen in bullet tests from the Oryx. The Woodleighs are no slouch either.

The 156 gr Oryx or 140 gr Partition would be my choice but the 160 gr Woodleigh should work great as well. Actually almost any premium bullet from the 120 gr TTSX or E Tip on up to the heavyweights would do the job nicely..........

Congrats to your son on the much coveted tag.
Good luck!

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Pulling a tag is always a treat :wink:. I have to agree with gerry that now a days any of the premium bullets will do a good job on a Moose.
As always shot placement is key!
Good luck on the up coming hunt (y).
Shoot straight, have Fun & most of all be Safe.

Blessings,
Dan

I read where Chub Eastman and Steve Tims use the 120 NBT in the 6.5x 280 A.I. for everything, including moose! I would worry about that 160 Woodleigh, ha.

preacher":2iyrlovj said:
I would worry about that 160 Woodleigh, ha.

Yeah, you know how those Aussie bullets just bounce off game. :shock: Just yanking your chain.

mkcj

since I am around tonight I will add my congratulations to your son on the draw of a moose tag and on his 26 Nosler

I do not own a 26 Nosler but have shot a ton of woodleigh bullets through the 6.5. I found it works best if you do not hot rod the load. Your shots should be fairly close. The two you mentioned ( woodleigh and oryz ) would be my choice as well.

We dont have moose in Africa but I have hunted them in Sweden. I believe the moose in Sweden are smaller than the Yukon moose, however.

Best of luck on the hunt

Best Regards

Jamila

Nice tag.... that's a Shiras moose. Smallest sub-species in N. America. Put a 140gr bullet through it's lungs and call the butcher shop.

I've seen the much bigger AK/Yukon moose taken with .243s, .270s and 7x57s- I personally think that's a little lightweight for the target species but the moose are expired on the spot.

I don't own a 26 Nosler nor have I ever shot one. Though I do have extensive experience with both the 260 Remington as well as a 6.5x55. In talking to my Scandinavian relatives they tell me that many hunters use a 6.5x55 regularly shoot game up to and including moose- and because the moose doesn't know any better it promptly falls down dead. Who said that 6.5mm bullets bounce off game?
Keith

Back