270 accubond 130

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
I have a 270wsm that shoots Sierra 130 gr gamekings great. For hunting I have worked up a 130 AccuBond load. I also want to use the rifle as back-up for elk. Drop the 300wsm or scope gets broken.

130 AccuBond get the job done? Was thinking of working up a 150 Partition load solely as an elk load.

Any I over thinking this?

My 300wsm tikka likes the 180 gr AccuBond. Certainly did a number on the mule deer and bear I shot last year.

The 130 AB will certainly work. I'd like a heavier bullet if possible. I've used the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM to take moose, and it worked very well. I have no doubt that the 130 AB would have worked as well. I do prefer more mass just in case the shot is not perfect (which is seldom is). The extra mass is comforting in those circumstances. I know a number of people that are using the 140 AB for elk, and it works very well. I do believe I'd be more comfortable still with a 150 grain PT, however.

I think the 130gr AccuBond would be marginal on the bigger stuff - I'd prefer the extra 20gr in the 150gr Partition if I could get it. That said, I shoot 130gr E-Tips in my 270Wby and I think those bullets, with their ability to hold together and penetrate a long ways, would be better than the AccuBond for bigger game.

Dr. Mike, is your opinion on more mass still as strong if you're talking about the E-Tip? I know we've addressed this before, so I'm just trying to understand where it falls in the scheme of things. I am still not sure I'd take the E-Tip elk hunting (if I get to go) but might instead move to the 150gr Partition.

dubyam,

I just like the idea of mass. I know that the monolithic bullets retain mass as they penetrate, but the idea of more mass has been ingrained into my head through the years preceding this present day. Obviously, I've used the lighter monolithic bullets (including TSX, GMX and E-Tips); but I'm still inclined to opt for heavier if possible. I do agree with you that the 130 E-Tip gets my nod over the 130 AB for bigger game. The retained mass and pronounced penetration is more likely to reach the vitals and do damage when it gets there. Like you mention, I'd probably be more comfortable using the 150 grain PT than even the 130 grain E-Tip on elk.

Since this would be your back-up rifle, and the fact that you have worked up loads already, I wouldn't go out of the way to develop a load for a rifle that might not get used while using that load. The 130gr NAB is much further away from being marginal than it is from being ideal as an elk bullet in the 270WSM.

The bullet you are using shouldn't determine the shot that you would or wouldn't take. The better penetrating bullets just help when we don't put the bullet were we intended. I know guys that are quite successful taking elk with 120TTSX's out of 7 mags. I couldn't imagine the 130 AccuBond being any different.

orchemo

Always a good idea to have a back up plan.
The 270 WSM with a 130 gr AB will get the job done but a heavier bullet will work better. The 150 gr PT would certainly get the job done, giving you plenty of penetration for elk. A good compromise bullet to consider would be the 140 gr AB.

JD338

I'm with Mike on this. I used the 140gr AB on elk and deer on season. It is an insanely accurate bullet out of my rifle and very accurate. It did an okay job with elk and worked well on muleys and WT deer. I decided to try the 150gr PTs and man o man. They are also very accurate and can be pushed into the 3100fps range quite easily. I really think if elk are on the hunt you would be pleased with them. They have excellent BC and SD numbers and will shoot pretty darn flat. Those 130gr ABs would work also, but opt for the bigger bullets in cases where they can also be driven fast. Give them a try, you might like em!

Thanks for the replies. I had bought several bags of the 130 ab while in bend over the winter.

I traded for a box of 150 partitions today and will work up a load this summer

Cheers

I would bet RL22 or IMR7828 will get you the speed and accuracy your looking for. Scotty

Why am I always the odd guy out here .... :grin:
If the 130's were working, and your confidence level was high, I wouldn't question them out of the 270wsm for elk. It's always about the placement - if you're diligent enough to hold for the appropriate shot no issues.
With that said - I do understand and believe you are purchasing somewhat of an insurance policy if you will be the heavier options.

Powerstroke just so you don't feel left out, I'm there with you on your thoughts. Sure the extra weight can be a good thing, but if you are shooting a really good 130 gr. bullet already such as the AccuBond, E-Tip, or Partition and it shoots great in your rifle, then stick with it! :grin: If orchemo has purchased several bags of the 130 gr. Accubonds and he tries them and they shoot really really well, then I would use them! If the 150 gr. Partitions shot better in his rifle, then I would stick with them.

Yes, I know the 6mm Remington is light for elk.....................but, Results from some small calibers on darn tough game. Bullets and shot placement! :mrgreen:

6mm Remington 100 gr. Partition- spike bull elk at 30 yards- one shot in the center of the right shoulder and it exited out his left side just in front of his shoulder in the neck area. Dead elk on his feet made it about 6 steps and stopped. One more at the base of his ear dropped him.

6mm Remington 90 gr. E-Tip- large cow elk at 350 yards- one shot just behind right shoulder and exited the center of her left shoulder. Went 25-30 yards and dropped dead.

25-06 120 gr. Partition- spike bull elk at 300 yards- one shot behind the shoulder and the bullet exited. He never went anyplace. One more shot dropped him.

25-06 120 gr. Partition- nice cow elk at 250 yards- one shot behind the left shoulder that angled forward and exited behind her right shoulder. She went about 40 yards and dropped.

270 Winchester 130 gr. Partition- several nice bulls a buddy has shot- no problems with penetration and elk done for in short order.

All the guys have given good sound advise but I believe it comes down to what really good bullet your rifle shoots best and the one that you have the most confidence in. That being said, my son will not be using his 6mm Remington for elk this year as he just opened up his 300 WSM Model 70. Now all he needs to do is work his job this summer and earn money to buy himself a scope so we can get it out on the range! My first choice is going to be the 180 gr. AccuBond and hopefully it will shoot very tiny little groups!

I am all for the little extra, but the smaller ones to kill to darn well to argue with too much. Heck, if it shoots well, you will have meat in the freezer. Scotty

Usually I go for the biggest and baddest but I have a TikkaT3 Lite in 270 WSM. The rifle is so light and accurate I overlook replacing it. (Just in case a sheep hunt comes up someday).
And I stuck with the 130 AccuBond. My load is: 64.5 grs. of IMR 4350 Fed. 215 primer Case length 2.1" COAL is 2.9" Max for my magazine. It shoots 3340 fps with 3337 FPE. It is now my designated California deer and anywhere antelope rifle. (Until my 270 Weatherby arrives). I'll still keep it because of it's weight.

orchemo":2n04zjht said:
I have a 270wsm that shoots Sierra 130 gr gamekings great. For hunting I have worked up a 130 AccuBond load. I also want to use the rifle as back-up for elk. Drop the 300wsm or scope gets broken.

130 AccuBond get the job done? Was thinking of working up a 150 Partition load solely as an elk load.

Any I over thinking this?

My 300wsm tikka likes the 180 gr AccuBond. Certainly did a number on the mule deer and bear I shot last year.

A 130 AB through the boiler room will do it on elk.

My friend uses 130 Rem Core Locts (1950-60) technology and they work great.

Hi Guys, I have been using a 270 win for the last 8 years elk hunting and have taken 3 cows and 2 bulls with the 130 gr AB or Partition depending what I have loaded in Sept. I have never had one get away. I have not shot 270wsm but I know you can get a couple hundred fps more. I would not be afraid to use it as a back or at any other time.

Blessings,

sask boy":3ik2z1nf said:
Hi Guys, I have been using a 270 win for the last 8 years elk hunting and have taken 3 cows and 2 bulls with the 130 gr AB or Partition depending what I have loaded in Sept. I have never had one get away. I have not shot 270wsm but I know you can get a couple hundred fps more. I would not be afraid to use it as a back or at any other time.

Blessings,

I might have to fire up the press and load up some more 150gr PT's, just in case I need a back up this year. Wouldn't sweat using the 150gr PT's or heck, any of the others either. In a 270, I would want all the bullet I could get though. Scotty

Yeah, the 130 will work. Chances are you won't have to use the back-up anyway.
However,
If it was me, I'd use the 150 PT first, and the 140 AB second, ahead of any 130gr.
Also there are different kinds of elk hunting. A cow or raghorn at 200yds in a meadow, or a rutting herd bull on the rim of a deadfall choked canyon at dusk 350yds out.
If the second scenario is a possibility go the heavier bullets for sure. Having too much gun is darn near impossible in this case.

WYcoyote hit the nail on the head, plenty of difference between a cow/ rag-horn and a herd bull.
My experience is you can't have to much gun.
However I have a good friend who hunts exclusively with a 270 win. and all he uses is 130AB bullets. I know the fella to be a good shot and he does not take long shots. His freezer is always full! My vote would be for the 150 PT. CW

Back