270 Bee and 270 Win :)

The 35 Whelen in 2012 was supposed to be "the last custom rifle" but since then the 270 Wby is in the works and now a Norma Mag :roll: It makes the most sense to do the 358 NM first because we all know here there is no such thing as "the last custom rifle". One day I'll do a 308 Norma just because it is a really good round, I like it and is cool 8)

My father had a beautiful Browning B78 in 308 Norma. A guy offered him 1000 bucks for it and Dad offered it to me free if I wanted it.

I did indeed want it but couldn't justify Dad not taking the money and at the time didn't have 1000 dollars with a new baby and another one on the way.

It was a beautiful rifle in a great cartridge, very easy to load for and it was a hammer on pigs and everything else.

All the talk of the Norma has me feeling seller's regret even when I didn't even own the rifle!

The barrel arrived today, a stainless 5 groove 1 in 9 twist Benchmark, I will probably have to wait a bit getting it together since I spent some $$$ on the 358 Norma project. No worries though it will all come together in due time, naturally I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

Sounds exciting, Gerry. I understand the problems induced by lack of cash flow or by excessive outflow of funds.

SJB358":3gcpoet2 said:
Man, that is an EXCELLENT idea Gerry. I really hope you do a Norma. Sako built 358 Norma is too cool!

I do like the idea of a 308 Norma as well. It's one of those cartridges that floats in my head for my 300 magnum....

Scotty, Scotty, Scotty, don't you even say that everyone knows you long for the classic 300 H&H in a Pre-64. Don't let those visions of another make you pass on your true desire!!

nvbroncrider":2bk7hpnh said:
SJB358":2bk7hpnh said:
Man, that is an EXCELLENT idea Gerry. I really hope you do a Norma. Sako built 358 Norma is too cool!

I do like the idea of a 308 Norma as well. It's one of those cartridges that floats in my head for my 300 magnum....

Scotty, Scotty, Scotty, don't you even say that everyone knows you long for the classic 300 H&H in a Pre-64. Don't let those visions of another make you pass on your true desire!!

Ha, yep, you got me Jake. I would love a Pre64 300 H&H. Someday, when I can find "the one" I am pretty sure I will have one.

Pat just snagged a beauty of one.. I was red with jealousy it is such a beautiful rifle! :grin: Hopefully I can check it out one of these times I travel through KC.

Gerry, that is really cool about the barrel. Are you going to have it throated to WBY specs or are you going to make it a standard set up?

The gunsmith I arranged to do it says his reamer is a bit shorter than the standard Weatherby freebore. He said I will still be able to use factory ammo in a pinch and not have excessive pressure. He is very experienced so I trust his judgment on this.

REDGREEN":ryxogjnf said:
No hunter is complete without the 270 Bee. Congrats.

I almost bought a PF M70 .270 Weatherby a couple of years ago. If it would have been CRF, I would have hurt my shoulder trying to quick draw my wallet, but it just had too many little things wrong with it... hard butt pad, too many dings in the stock, too many blemishes in the blueing...

BK":2w1fgiwc said:
REDGREEN":2w1fgiwc said:
No hunter is complete without the 270 Bee. Congrats.

I almost bought a PF M70 .270 Weatherby a couple of years ago. If it would have been CRF, I would have hurt my shoulder trying to quick draw my wallet, but it just had too many little things wrong with it... hard butt pad, too many dings in the stock, too many blemishes in the blueing...

...270 Westherby.

Back