270 Lazermark

HOGWILD338-378

Handloader
Aug 22, 2012
This rifle makes me smile like i just fired my Accumark 338-378 without firing it and the NEAR Alphamount was worth every penny as this will be my all around hunter and i am working up some 150 Gr Partitions for it!Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT Plex reticle :) Timney will be coming soon!
DSC_0608.jpg

Quite a handsome setup. Thanks for posting. There are certainly a few rabid Weatherby fans that hand out around here.

I have yet to find that vaccine myself but only own 4 :) so far, was planning on a Philippines trip in March but was thinking about 2 new rifles instead as my wife travels ok on her own and the money i would spend on that trip just for me would allow me to build a 300 Wby AccuLazer #3 contour with all the bells and whistles! :) and easily another Roy Toy :)

That is one very nice looking rifle, congrats on the purchase.

Bill

Thanks for the likes as it is the first new wood stocked rifle i have ever owned and i think i did good!

I'm not a huge fan of Weatherby's but they do make some pretty rifles! I just don't like burning all that powder. :oops: However I would make and exception for a .358 Norma.

I do like the warmth of wood, even if it is not as stable as laminates or plastic.

I just shot a Weatherby for the first time :wink: in a 257 Weatherby mag.
It shot very nice & it can get there in a hurry :shock:

Blessings,
Dan

I suspect you'll be very pleased with that rifle as your "go-to" for any non-dangerous game. That's the position occupied by my 270Wby, though mine is not wearing as nice a stock as yours. Beautiful rifle, and the perfect chambering. I'd look at IMR7828ssc under those 150gr bullets, and Scotty's suggestion of the Partition is a good one. I'd also consider the Speer 150gr Deep Curl and perhaps the (relatively) new Hornady Interbond in 150gr.

Duby i knew you were going to mention the Hornady 150's and i just missed them when i was picking up the Partitions the other day but i did look at them but now i know which one to pick up i will try a box of 50! I bought 5 boxes of the cheap factory stuff and it shoots nice but i got it just for the brass because it was cheaper than buying unprimed new brass! Yep Scotty that 3.5-18x44 fits that rifle really nice and it does not kick as bad as i thought it would and i will be doing 3 more boxes so i can try my new stainless pin media in my tumbler as i hate corn cob in my hulls anywhere! You guys all have a great Labor Day :)

Rather than a Timney it's easy to swap the factory spring out for a replacement and end up wiht a very nice trigger. I did it on my 257 ULW this past week.

http://www.weatherby.dk/content.php?32- ... -V-Trigger

Very nice rifle too!
My Lazermark's metal is at the Weatherby Custom Shop right now being reblued. I'm looking forward to having it return soon.

Really partial to Timney products and have never had to adjust anything on them other than let off, i would not feel too comfortable about doing the spring mod even though i could probably do it ? Good luck on your blue job :) really sounded bad but i am a retired Aircraft Mechanic and i blame that on my time in the PI ! I will check that link out Dr V and see what it is about but trigger groups are probably more of something i have little comfort in dealing with!

Thanks for the recommendation as my powder stash is not very deep and i have heard several people mention this powder so it has gotta pattern well ! If you have it's twin i am very happy for you as i am also one happy Arkanite and first New wooden stocked rifle i have ever owned and it is a shooter with cheap factory stuff!

Placed my order with Timney for my Lazermark and it should be here fast from AZ ! I will set this at 2.5 Lb as long as it passes the slam fire tests :)

HOGWILD338-378":5z9avk5d said:
Really partial to Timney products and have never had to adjust anything on them other than let off, i would not feel too comfortable about doing the spring mod even though i could probably do it ? Good luck on your blue job :) really sounded bad but i am a retired Aircraft Mechanic and i blame that on my time in the PI ! I will check that link out Dr V and see what it is about but trigger groups are probably more of something i have little comfort in dealing with!

If you were an airline mechanic the trigger spring swap is something you can do with your eyes closed. The factory spring just won't let you get below 3 pounds, so you're swapping in a slightly lighter spring so that you now can go lower. That's the only modification you're doing to the trigger. It's easy and at 10% the price of a Timney is well worth it. If nothing else consider buying the spring and trying it just to educate yourself.

I did my 257 this week and it went well. Only one of my Mark V's still has a factory trigger and that's because for some reason it allowed me to get it down to 2 pounds.

I have Timneys on some Vanguards but I'm getting much better at tweaking those stock triggers as well using untouched factory springs. There are a few tricks but it's possible - I had two at 1 pound 8 ounces this week though bumped them back up to just over 2 pounds for real world use.

Back