.270 win 160 partition

JD, surely you're not suggesting a one rifle-one bullet ideology. Thats just, just unsomething.

Bruce Mc":4rziwcl9 said:
JD, surely you're not suggesting a one rifle-one bullet ideology. Thats just, just unsomething.

It is pretty hard to hang with one bullet. As much as I think I can, I always want to try "this one"

I shoot one bullet weight and a single load in each of my six centerfire rifles. If I want a different load, I just use a different rifle! I have been doing that for 50 years ?

It's hard to argue with 50 years of success. OT, if I might ask, what is your battery lineup and what bullet do you use in each?

Surely, I have six rifles:
1. a .257 Roberts 110 gr AccuBond at 3150 fps. Mauser Custom.
2. a .270 Win 130, 130 gr Partition at 3000 fps. Model 70 Super grade custom.
3. a 7mm Rem Mag, 160 gr Partition at 2950 fp. Custom Mauser.
4. a .30-06, 165 gr Partition at 2850 fps. Model 70 Grade II.
5. a .338 Federal, 210 Partition at 2575 fps, Sako Model 85.
6. a 9.3x74R Mauser, 250 gr Partition at 2500 fps. Ruger Number One.

Bruce, all of these rifles, except the 9.3 will group at MOA or better at 300 yards.

Retire the 270, leverage the house on a 3rd mortgage, and get both a 7mm/08 and a 338 Fed. Shoot AB's and thank me in you will! :) Otherwise, I have nothing useful to provide.

gerry, you are not going to need that new 270win for a Moose this fall :wink: as that 35 Whelen is going to connect in the Peace region :mrgreen:!!
I personally have never used the 150gr or 160gr partitions in my 270win but will be attempting to build a load for both my boys as one has the 270win and then other is likely going to be shooting that new M70 in the 270wsm. I do have some 140gr ABs along with a couple of boxes of 150gr ABLRs.
I have to off my behind and start getting at this hobby of mine (y)!
Very good post with lots of input that is what I love about this forum there is no shortage of knowledge :mrgreen:!!

Blessings,
Dan

OT, I have the first four on your list with the exception of the 160 Partition in the 7mm rem mag of which I use the 160 AccuBond, I use the same pills. Thank you for your input, as Sask said, lots of experience and knowledge out there.

Yup, this forum has a lot of hunting and handloading experience. Usually there is always someone who can help you with virtually any problem?

sask boy":3fv10cbl said:
gerry, you are not going to need that new 270win for a Moose this fall :wink: as that 35 Whelen is going to connect in the Peace region :mrgreen:!!
I personally have never used the 150gr or 160gr partitions in my 270win but will be attempting to build a load for both my boys as one has the 270win and then other is likely going to be shooting that new M70 in the 270wsm. I do have some 140gr ABs along with a couple of boxes of 150gr ABLRs.
Very good post with lots of input that is what I love about this forum there is no shortage of knowledge :mrgreen:!!

Blessings,
Dan

I'll try and distract you and then maybe pullout the 270 When you aren't looking ;) :lol:

Bruce Mc":129pbtfk said:
Only because you said you bought a bunch of 130 gr PT's. :mrgreen:

I am from the 1 load for each rifle camp but to Scotty's point, its always good to have options.
130 gr PT, 140 gr AB and 150 gr PT would be a solid line up for the 270 Win.

JD338

gerry":gn1vsb18 said:
sask boy":gn1vsb18 said:

Blessings,
Dan

I'll try and distract you and then maybe pullout the 270 When you aren't looking ;) :lol:

Isn't the 270 Win just a necked down 35 Whelen?

JD338

I bet that 160NP would be wonderful on big hogs and elk...I got mine in the mail, they were in that "disintegrating box" Nosler tried awhile back. You know, you open it and just folds out flat? ha. I was amazed at just how similar it is to the 7mm 160NP which is a real killer. But then, the .270 "is" a real 7mm! ha
P.S. I bought a Redding FL .270 die awhile back. I didn't look real close at it, just screwed it in the press and ran a lubed Rem .270 case in. Uh Oh, felt way too hard, shell holder pulled off the rim...bummer. Took it to my local smith who got it out. Then we both noticed the die said "6mm Remington", ha! The label on the box read .270 Winchester but it was a bonafide 6mm Rem die! I sent it back to Midway for the right one. Thats what I get for assuming, although, in my defense, I've had some major Pastoral challenges in past couple weeks...I'm a bit fried. In the meantime, I'm just using my RCBS small Base dies on some range p/u once fired brass. :oops: When I finally do get to the range, I'll have load workups to do for 4 rifles, ha. I hope I get to stay out there all day. I hate cell phones...I love people, but I hate cell phones! :)

Man, that's a first. I'm sure Redding and Midway will do you right Jim. Looking forward to your load work up.

Your right, that 160 PT would be some bad medicine in a 270...

I culled some feral horses using the 160g NPT.

Aiming for the hardest point of the shoulders, they either went straight down or took one or two steps before keeling over. I used 57.5g of H4831SC for 2840fps.

I was very impressed with the performance.

IMG-20130929-02642_zpszuhzhiqv.jpg

I know the blood makes it look like the wound is further back, but the entry hole is actually on the other side of the horse and it rolled around a little when it hit the ground.

I never butchered it and there was no pass through. So I can't comment on retained weight etc.

Did you recover any of them Bob? That load looks to be trucking. I'd imagine the feral horses have some pretty stout bones as well.

No recoveries, no exits.

The horses were around 500-600kg and had been running wild for years having originally been intended to be broken and worked.

Big boned animals for sure and I was frankly amazed how those big Partitions despatched them.

Back