.270 win 160 partition

That's awesome performance bobnob, but being a native Texan, I hate you had to shoot them! :( :) Of course, too many critters can end up with diseases and such too...as a soldier in Germany, back in '72, we had a mess Sgt that sold our good food on the black market and fed us a lot of horsemeat! :lol: ha It was good, just different. He got busted finally and we got our beef back. Do you guys sell those horses for dog food, like the kangaroos? Thanks for the pics and report. (y)

Preacher, there are sooo many kangaroos here that horse meat is secondary at best as far as dog food goes.....

You wouldn't believe how many kangaroos there are here.... yet the greenies insist they are near extinction!

At any given time I can find a 100 or more on my 230 acres, and I don't even grow any cereal crops!

FWIW I think roo meat tastes a little similar to horse meat. :)

That's certainly a "target rich environment"! ha. I hope I didn't sound as if Texans love horses more than Aussies, ha. I was being "tongue in cheek" a bit as I had a huge sorrel gelding that looked just like your pic when I was 14! ha. Back in the 80's I read of ross Seyfried using the then new Barnes 165X bullet in a 30-06 on wild burros down there. He was saying how he was using shoulder shots but they dropped like head shots! Closest I've ever come to shooting a horse are zebras. Those guys are like shooting a stump, ha. I certainly believe that if the 160NP/.270 Win can do that to a horse, no bull elk of any size can stand it! When I moved here to Utah in '90, I always made it a point to ask hunters what caliber/ammo choice they used on mule deer/elk. I'd say over 95% of the .270 users shot 150gr factory or handloads. It certainly made more sense "to me" to use the heavier bullet on elk anyhow, though the 130NP can/has done it all. I may never use a .270 on elk, but I like having an "elk capable" rifle as a spare...you never know when a rifle/scope may crap out. BTW, my father was with McArthurs Army and he loved the Australian people ( I'm sure the Sheila's helped! ha) He always said they were good troops, good shots, and had good attitudes.

Yeah I reckon the 270 Win with a good 150 grainer is almost too good an allrounder. Not too much recoil, flat shooting, high SD sleek projectiles, and easy to load for.

The 160 NPT just steps it up a notch. In the bullet test section under .277 you'll see the two wet newspaper tests I did which included it among a number of others.

I've recently started loading the old yellow box 130 NPT in my 270. Have been too busy with work to use them on pigs or deer or goats but have a couple of trips planned.

Good to hear your Dad had some pleasant memories of our soldiers. My grandfather had a good bit to do with US military advisors in New Guinea and had all good things to say. I think it is still a strong alliance which is now backed by over a 100 years of tradition too.

bobnob":x2znaq82 said:
Good to hear your Dad had some pleasant memories of our soldiers. My grandfather had a good bit to do with US military advisors in New Guinea and had all good things to say. I think it is still a strong alliance which is now backed by over a 100 years of tradition too.

Same experience here. Aussies have been nothing but first rate folks in my book as well. I have enjoyed my time with them. Hard workers and not a better country in the world to have as a partner in any conflict.

Oldtrader3":3sk4sanz said:
I shoot one bullet weight and a single load in each of my six centerfire rifles. If I want a different load, I just use a different rifle! I have been doing that for 50 years ?

Sounds like a good plan....all this switching loads and bullets is fun, but can be a problem.

I tend to shoot everything with a 180AB cruising along at 2925.... if it's not broke, fixing it might make it that way!

Shooters Pro Shop finally got some 160s. I bought a bunch of them and now I'm gonna load for bear. Hopefully they'll shoot. I've got 7828ssc, MRP, H-4831, and Re-22 to try.

I would bet any of them are going to kick butt Bruce, if it were me, that 7828/RL22/MRP would be up first. Those three seem to just about work out the same for me in most cartridges. I bet you'll get something good really quick.

Can't wait to see your targets.

Good luck. I'm sure like Scotty said any of IMR 7828 ssc, MRP and RL 22 will get you good speed and there is a great chance of finding at least one good load with them.

My little Mountain Rifle didn't work out for me, so I'll be trying the 150s & 160s in my old Belgium BAR .270 and I think I'm going to start with R26. I got some impressive speeds with the 150BT in the Mod 700 but that pencil thin barrel didn't like them. I have had very good results in my BAR with 140s and up. So far, I've only tried factory loads with 130s and it doesn't care for them. Hopefully this heavier barreled Browning will like the R26.

As reported on the other post, my BAR eat the 130NP/H4831Sc like candy! The 150BT/R26 was awesome, even if it wasn't bughole ( 1.6", which IS extremely accurate in a peep sighted levergun that I have killed some awesome critters with very handily! I can hunt with it.) but going 3050 or so! I'm glad you found some 160's Uncle Bruce!

I got to give the 160s a try this morning. 57.6 grs of IMR-7828 yielded 2888 fps and an std dev of 8.3. The oal was 3.340 and it grouped around 2". I'll be working on this load some more.

Bruce Mc":2wkjhjvm said:
I got to give the 160s a try this morning. 57.6 grs of IMR-7828 yielded 2888 fps and an std dev of 8.3. The oal was 3.340 and it grouped around 2". I'll be working on this load some more.

Whoa Bruce, that'll be a thumper!

I'm right behind you Uncle bruce but I will start off with R26/160/BR2 and see what I can do in the BAR. I'm also going to use new WW brass. So far, R26 has just been awesome with the 150Bt but admittedly at 1.6" for three.

Back