270 Win./160gr. Partition for white tails

284LUVR

Beginner
Nov 5, 2004
Is this bullet too heavily constructed for white tails?A fairly heavy load of IMR4350 and the 160 has shot very well in my Win. fwt.Distance will be under 150 yards

The 160gn is just fine for white tail. I've read on this forum that some like their 338 for deer hunting. So, if it shoots great out of your gun, by all means use it.

284luvr,
You say the 160 shoots well in your gun. I was just curious....have you tried the 140 gr Accubonds? My Savage 110 also likes the 160 gr Part's, but I've found it likes the 140 gr AB even better. As to whether the 160 NP is too heavily constructed for 100-150 yd, it is not. Before I hand loaded, I used Fed Prem's with 150 gr NP's for years (only 10 grs lighter). Never had a deer go more than 75 yards, no matter where I hit them. Also never recovered a bullet, but judging by the exit wounds, they all behaved just like they were supposed to.

Blaine

284luvr,

The 160 gr PT out of a 270 Win will work just fine on a WT deer. You will have an exit wound from most any angle. A couple of years back, I shot a 200 lb 9 pt WT deer with a 250 gr PT from my 338 RUM. This was a very impressive kill with a quarter size exit would.
The heavy weight PT's will open up on a WTdeer and not do a lot of meat damage.

Regards,

JD338

If you are goin after whiletails I'm assuming the range will be rather short?
If.. this is the case, you are actually better off using a heavy bullet in a .270 because the slower velocity will mean much less meat destruction than you would see with say a 130gr load, and a 160gr bullet will perform just fine..

Back