270 win and 150 ABLR!!

Those look like a winning combination, very nice. Looking forward to seeing how they shoot for you.

I surely like Norma brass. Combined with Nosler bullets, you have a winning combination.

What's the COAL on those? I figure I'll load to mag length and adjust from there when I start loading them.

I loaded to 3.340 oal to start. My previous load with 140 AB liked that length so that's where I started. Loaded with fed 215 primers and starting from 60gr - 63.5gr in .5 gr increments using ramshot magnum.

Well got a few loads to work with. Got a few minutes to shoot this load today. From what I saw with 2 powders and 3 different primer loads. Gonna reload these 2 and verify. From what I saw today it seems the faster you push these ABLR's the tighter the group. All of my groups were very open for the lower powder charges. The faster they went the better they got.

Attachments

• 20130812_160806.jpg
    20130812_160806.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 310
  • 20130812_160802.jpg
    20130812_160802.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 310
Just about what I saw with my WSM as well. I imagine a little tuning on the seating depth will tighten them up pretty nice. What sorta speeds were you getting?

Sas---
Running the 150 ablr and the 140 ab at the same length probably isn't matching the ogive to rifling jump. I'm thinking if you have the room you'd have to hang the ablr out longer.
I have all the components here and a comparator and can figure out what the oal would be for a match...often I find if one bullet shoots good at a certain jump others do to.
Let me know if you want me to do that.

Ya. I was figuring that considering that the profile between the two was quite different. I have plenty of room to jump the bullet forward. The rifle is a rem 700 adl long action. I can most likely push the bullet Forward a max of .140". Though I'm not a big fan of loading that long. I have done it and they do chamber and cycle properly. If you have some free time I would appreciate the numbers. Just to see if my guess is close

OK..yup big difference. To get the ogives to match you have to move oal out to 3.404.
Its pretty incredible you have that much room!
I have a marlin xl7 and wouldn't think of doing that but found I can load 2 shells to most any length...the 1st is in the chamber...the 2nd sits on top of the magazine with the tip 1/3 the way up the ramp...and it functions as a "2shooter"!
The 150 ablr actually has .110" less caliber width shank than the 140 ab...I think that's why so many are getting the high velocity w/o big pressure spikes.
Good luck...keep us up to date on progress...I have some loaded for my gun but can't get to the range cause of a daily grind w/a family illness. One of my buddies will be doing my "fun work" for me. Also have em loaded for the 270 bee.

Talking oal. In my 700 30-06 my oal to get the bullet on the lands would have to be 3.497" ! Just to give you an idea. And they fit in the mag well. But if I load them that long I have less than .308" in the case neck.

That is some incredible speed. I am seeing the same. I am getting a pretty easy 3140 outta my 270WSM and believe there is room to grow, if I wanted, but the accuracy seems pretty good where it's at.

A buddy with a 26" tube is getting great numbers with a 7mm Rem Mag and the 168 ABLR's and RL33..

Yes the speed have been quite impressive. I have been very pleased with magnum in the 270 win

Scotty you are gonna get me to put a 26 incher on my 270win and let her rip!!

I would imagine 3100 will be easy to get to and possibly 3125!!!

pre6422hornet":38egp8ov said:
Scotty you are gonna get me to put a 26 incher on my 270win and let her rip!!

I would imagine 3100 will be easy to get to and possibly 3125!!!

With a rifle that is shooting like that I would beat you over the head for messing with it! :lol:

I don't think there is enough to gain in your case Pat. With that kinda BC, let them suckers fly!

But, if you were to rebarrel one of your 270's, it would be pretty neat to put a 26" barrel on it and/or add some Ackley'ness to it. That would be pretty danged cool if you ask me. Everybody always honkin on the 280 Improved, while the 270 gets no love. I think it would be a cool cat set up correctly.

Back