270 Win Load for Caribou

Gary, that was a great hunt and an excellent story. I am glad you were able to work out your load and get what you were looking for. The 140gr AccuBond at nearly 2900 has got to be a very deadly set up. Awesome pictures on the other side and I am glad we were able to get you set up for your hunt. Hopefully you stick around here and join in! Good to have you here. Scotty

I've been using a couple of RL powders with good results. Rl 22 gives an average of 2890fps with the 150 grain Hornady Interlock bullet and Federal 210 primers using Winchester weighted cases. The seating has shown to be important and about .1 off of the lands works quite well. The rifle is one I just put together with a 22" barrel on a Remington long action. I consider this excellent performance from the standard 270 Winchester. This particular rifle it at it's most accurate with 4064 but velocity for hunting loads are a bit mild for my liking and I'm not interested in this rifle as a target round. I have access to a long range shooting area and will post any results I get with this load at range.

That does sound like a great shooting 270 Win load. Those 150's in the 270 have alot of SD and should handle the larger side of game pretty well. Scotty

Libertyfirst,

Welcome to the forum; it's good to have you onboard. The ReLoder series of powders are very good, and I have no doubt that RL22 will work quite well with heavy for calibre bullets in the 270. It sounds as if you are doing things right and have the location to test. That is excellent velocity with 150 grain bullets out of the 270 Win.

I tried some new loads for my 270 win for 22.5 tube Sako 85. The temp was 20 F with no wind.
140 AB, H-1000 63 grains with Federal 215 Match magnum primers 2969 fps average 3 shots, accuracy about .90 at 100 yards. This load is hot but no pressure signs in this rifle then don't try to duplicate it right away. Next time I plan to go down to 62 grains of H-1000 with the same primers since H-1000 showed good accuracy. I tried the same load with large rifle primers but I could not get the same accuracy.

140 AB, H4831 59.2 grains, Federal Large Rifle Match primer, 2855 fps average speed but not accurate. Over 1 inch spread at 100 yards.

140 AB H4831sc 59.2 grains with F210 Match large rifle, speed was impressive at 2949 fps, with 1.25 accuracy. All loads had 3.345 col with Norma brass and .303 bushing size.

I still not there what I would like to see. I want to get 2900 fps but with accuracy at 100 yards less the 1 inch.

I might be close what I am looking for. Next I will try 3.280 col, then neck .302 neck bushings to get more neck tension.

Vodek

Back