270 Win Varmint

dragger201

Beginner
Feb 12, 2012
Since I did not get to hunt this year and since I have a box of Speer 100gr HP that have been sitting on my bench for 4 years, I decided that it was time to try something. And the Dr. told me Thursday last that I can now put 50% of my weight on my leg(after 13 weeks)......so here's what I'm doing

I started with some fresh cleaned FC brass. Expensive........once fired, 50 pcs cost me $2.
Case length is 2.538 after FL resizing, squaring case mouth and chamfering. Got an average weight of 199.04grs with a range of 197.5 - 200gr. Threw out two pcs that were under 197gr. Primer pockets cleaned as well.

Will be using IMR 4350. Starting load will be 58gr and will work up in .5gr increments to 61gr.(Speer 100gr HP)

Second load work up will be with Sierra 90gr HP with IMR 4831, starting at 59gr and working up to 62gr in .5gr steps.

This will be interesting for me, as I've never had a gun with the Weatherby freebore. The 130gr NBT I use for hunting have an OAL of 3.371 with a bullet length of 1.228. The Speer 100gr bullet length is .865 and the Sierra 90gr runs .857........so I'll have way more way more freebore between the bullet and the lands then I've ever had before.

It's been well over 35 years since I loaded any varmint loads for the .270. I did very little along those lines anyway. The only bullet I remember using is the 110 gr. Sierra and the only reason I remember it at all is I still have half a box. Accuracy was fairly decent as I recall and I did hit one coyote at roughly 2/10 of a mile as measured by the odometer in my truck. The bullet certainly didn't do him much good and he was badly mangled up. I don't remember the powder or charge but I'm thinking it might have been milsurp H4831 as I was using quite a bit of it back then. My loading notebook disappeared during the move from Nevada to Arizona so close to 30 years of reloading data literally vanished. :( :cry:
Paul B.

The late great Jack O Conner wrote in reloaders Digest 8th edition that his favorite load with 100 gr. bullets was 52 gr. of IMR-4064 for 3300 fps. He said slower powders caused more muzzle blast than anything else.

Ready to grab some targets and hit the bench one day at work this week...........

Attachments

• 270Win FC loaded.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 958
dragger<

Good news from the Dr., congratulations buddy.

Those loads look wicked, pretty sure they are not gonna be varmint friendly. :mrgreen:

JD338

JD338":2hg7365t said:
dragger<

Good news from the Dr., congratulations buddy.

Those loads look wicked, pretty sure they are not gonna be varmint friendly. :mrgreen:

JD338

Hey JD.........naw, I don't think they are gonna be varmint friendly. I ain't shot a lot of hollow points in rifles, but still, those are some big holes in the tip of those bullets. If one of those loads will hold to 2" then I'm good to go......got goats that will be dropping babies in about 2 weeks. The coyotes will be getting brave/foolish enough that I should have under 200yd shots. :twisted:

And yeah, that was REALLY good news from the Dr.!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Just make certain it is 50% and not 55%. I wouldn't want things to go from bad to worse. :mrgreen: That is a good way to pass time--productive, too.

DrMike":1ulqfdf0 said:
Just make certain it is 50% and not 55%. I wouldn't want things to go from bad to worse. :mrgreen: That is a good way to pass time--productive, too.

Yeah Doc........the Dr. told me just after the surgery that if I didn't do what he said I could loose the use of my leg. Scared the you-know-what out of me and I've been doing exactly what he says. And yes this has been very productive weekend.

hubcap":291lyikh said:
The late great Jack O Conner wrote in reloaders Digest 8th edition that his favorite load with 100 gr. bullets was 52 gr. of IMR-4064 for 3300 fps. He said slower powders caused more muzzle blast than anything else.
>>>prior to getting my 22-250,.223 i used 4064 53/54 grs as i recall, w/ the 90 gr sierra. great varmit load!

Back