270 WSM is messing with my head

Rgr, good to hear, looking forward to hearing what you are getting. Scotty

Just put the numbers together from last weekend. This is a new Vanguard Sub MOA W/ 24in tube.
A full charge of Viht N-560 gave me an average velocity of 3268fps w/ 140gr Accubonds. This was also ended up being my sight in load and hope to verify my one and only load this weekend. The last two shots touching each other.
RL-17 was a ways behind w/ 3129fps and a dinner plate size group :shock:

Right ive finally done my final testing

im getting 3000fps with 66gr of rl22 with std primers and 150gr sst

It sounds like the powder does not like that barrel and twist. I had the same issue when I bought a new 30-06. My old load, using RL22 I was getting Nosler book value. New rifle same load over 200 fps slower. I finally changed powder and now have a load that is where I expect it to be.

hello

my 270wsm a custom remington wih shilen barrel of 24" do that 3 shots 100metros

grupo67grrl19alfredo.jpg

By mexicanhunter, shot with DSC-W35 at 2009-11-12

130grs hornady sst
case w-w
powder rl19-67grs (hot)
vel 3340fps

That will work for most any game you ever want to hunt. Great shooting with a great cartridge.

You guys out there keep teasing me with that short mag it is getting tough not to order one :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

I think you would like the 270WSM or its bigget brother, the Seven WSM. Both of those two are very powerful for their size. Plus, you can never really argue with a faster and more powerful 270 Win!

Idaho_Elk_Huntr":19qz9wpz said:
I loaded some rounds yesterday with RL 22 and the Nosler manual put them above 3000 fps. They chrono'd at 2700. Anyone know what is up? I checked chrono before and after and it is fine. Had slightly flattened primers with this load

Savage 24 inch barrel.
59 grains RL22
Fed 215 primers
Win brass
Nosler 150 grain Partitions

I just loaded some with IMR7828 ssc I will try later if the rain stops.

My Lyman manual gives a max load of 63 gr of RL22 for 3058 FPS with a 150 gr. If that info is accurate (most loads I have tried out of that manual are close) your 59 gr load should be doing close to what it is. That manual says 59.5 gr as a starting load. My favorite load is 67 gr of RL19 under a 130 gr Interbond with CCI 250. It gives me 3360 FPS and 1/2-3/4 inch accuracy. I have found that Remington brass shows less pressure signs than Federal brass with the same load.

59gr of RL 22 would be about right for the old 22 Winchester.
Maybe someone was looking under the wrong cartridge in their manual?

Antelope_Sniper":9l8bewwd said:
Maybe someone was looking under the wrong cartridge in their manual?

Are you referring to me??

Nosler list 150 grain bullet 59 grains RL 22 at 3069 fps. So is someone at Nosler making this up?? I have ben told its just a guide but thats more than a little misguided

Back