270 WSM vs 300 WSM Tikka T3 Lite

OldMan

Handloader
Dec 24, 2008
Which one would you pick for all around (deer & elk)? Light weight worries me about the 300 kicking the snot out of me and the 270 not being enough for the elk way out there is the other argument! My son has the 300 WSM Tikka and gets awesome groups in 180 BT's with RL-22.

FIrst off I would not get a tikka especially in a wsm no point as they dont have a short action if you want a tikka why not just get a 30.06 and have close to the best of both worlds. Again there are no advantages to a wsm in a tikka

now if it were me I dont hunt elk very often if ever so I would get the 270 wsm and did in a model 700 lss (beautiful rifle) and my dad used it to take an elk in oregon and dropped it @150yds with a 150 gr ballistic tip. Remeber you can go up to a 160 gr Partition@ nearly 3000 fps which should be fairly acceptable

I would have to go with the 270 WSM in a Rem. 700. There are a few really nice ones on gunbroker that I have been keeping my eye on, check 'em out. sure the 300 WSM would work, but there are forty seven different 300s out there. 270 WSM would be flatter shooting. People have been killing elk for many years with a regulat 270, so I'm pretty sure a 270 WSM can take care of elk without to much trouble. Only problem with using a smaller caliber for elk is shot placement, it has to be spot on.

If it were me I would go with the 270 over the 300 just becase I don't like .308 cals.

nitis":2u8nwgi8 said:
FIrst off I would not get a tikka especially in a wsm no point as they dont have a short action if you want a tikka why not just get a 30.06 and have close to the best of both worlds. Again there are no advantages to a wsm in a tikka

now if it were me I dont hunt elk very often if ever so I would get the 270 wsm and did in a model 700 lss (beautiful rifle) and my dad used it to take an elk in oregon and dropped it @150yds with a 150 gr ballistic tip. Remeber you can go up to a 160 gr Partition@ nearly 3000 fps which should be fairly acceptable
How bout 1/2 inch groups with either 165 or 180's in a 6 lb 3 oz rifle right out of the box. I have 7 mags, 300 win and wbys, 270 win, 30-06 featherweight ect. Tikkas shoot and are light. I haven't found an 06 that shoots 180's at 3000 or 165's at 3100 have you?

OldMan":1hz3df4d said:
nitis":1hz3df4d said:

How bout 1/2 inch groups with either 165 or 180's in a 6 lb 3 oz rifle right out of the box. I have 7 mags, 300 win and wbys, 270 win, 30-06 featherweight ect. Tikkas shoot and are light. I haven't found an 06 that shoots 180's at 3000 or 165's at 3100 have you?

I was not comparing ballistics of the 06 vs wsm I was simply stating that the 06 would give you the 30 cal pill without the thumping you get from a mag and could be loaded down with 150s or so and be close to performance of the 270s

do what you wan tI know the tikkas have a cult following but remeber that 6lb 3oz rifle dont soak up much recoil and again tikka does not have a short action so whay not get a regular win mag? especially if you already have one

good luck with what ever you decide

I have shot my friends tikka t3 in a 270 wsm, and I was very impressed with this gun. It was very accurate. Best of luck with your choice

Alll the Tikkas I have shot were quite accurate. As to cartridge, you won't go wrong with either. The felt recoil on the 300 WSM is not at all severe. It will do everything you need with virtually any game in North America. There are no flies on the 270 WSM, however, and for what you say you want to do with it, it will work just fine. What an enviable position! You won't go wrong with either cartridge.

OldMan":t5uiupf2 said:
Which one would you pick for all around (deer & elk)? Light weight worries me about the 300 kicking the snot out of me and the 270 not being enough for the elk way out there is the other argument! My son has the 300 WSM Tikka and gets awesome groups in 180 BT's with RL-22.
................Either one for deer and/or elk.

Better to focus on what rifle will suite the need the best for your particular style of hunting most of the time, whether it be a Tikka or anything else.

As for me, I`d rather have a heavier recoiling but lighter rifle if I were doing alot of hiking, as opposed to a heavier rifle with less recoil. You can hike many hours, but the effects of felt recoil only last a split second during one kill shot or a follow up shot if needed. Loads can also be reduced for bench shooting.

Pick a rifle that will be user friendly for the conditions and circumstances under which you will hunt most of the time.

I will make my last comment on this

I personally dont care who shoots what kind of rifle but my opinion of the tikka is from what I understand they are great shooters but to be honest I have never seen a rifle that I was a better shooter than its potential and I think that for the most part that is always the case. So in that respect I will buy what I know and like.

Next in my opinion the tikka is somewhat a throw away gun. Lots of plastic little to no aftermarket accessories or options. And I doubt that you will see very many in the field come 50 yrs from now but my 700s will still be out there. And if there is a problem with my 700 I know I will be able to get it worked on who works on tikkas? Who will work on a tikka in 50 yrs or whe n your grandchild or great grand child has it?

I am not trying to start a war just speaking my mind. Again I dont care what anyone buys do as you please

Big Sqeeze nailed it. What are you going to use it for most? What physical demands will you have to endure to find the game? I might add that a well placed bullet, of reasonable caliber, will put down any animal in this country. Are you recoil sensative?

If it were me, I'd just use my 280 and be happy because if I did elk hunt I would not be comfortable shooting much past 300yds in a hunting situation. If I could not put a 140 gn Partition or AccuBond in a elk's lungs from that distance with my 280, what do I need a wizzm for?

So you have to ask yourself, what will be demanded of me, what do I expect from a rifle and a cartridge. Weed out all the cult followings and neigh sayers and then make your choice.

By the way, I don't own a Tikka, but a rifle brand does not get a following of any kind if it doesnt have the goods.

Long

Have you thought about splitting the difference? 7mm WSM with 140 gr AB for deer and a 160 gr for elk.

JD338

A couple of years of dinking around with the .300 WSM convinced me that it's one heck of a cartridge... Accurate, darned near as powerful as a .300 Win mag and pretty easy on the shoulder - at least mine was. With elk on the menu, I'd like to be able to use .30 cal, 180 or 200 gr bullets.

Not that the .270 won't kill elk just fine.

Tikka... I've never shot one, but a couple of my hunting buddies have them (in .300 WSM by the way) and the dang things shoot great. Those fellows are putting venison in the freezer and antlers on the wall, you might as well join them! :grin:

Regards, Guy

I have lots of heavy model 700's, 70's, 77's, Mark V's and the like. I am getting old and am going on both deer and elk hunts this year that will take a lot of walking up hills and long distance. My son has been doing the same for several years and even he leaves his big heavy guns home now in favor of the T3 (he's 36). If I can handle the recoil of the light 300 that shoots very accurately, that's what I will do! I just wanted some opinions on the 270 WSM compared to the 300 from people that have used one or both! My kids and grandkids will get all kinds of guns when I complete my "Bucket List".My guess is they will use the light and handy ones, but who knows if Obama will let them have any at all!

I apologize for getting side tracked I say get the 270 wsm the ability to load it fast and flat with a 110 gr AccuBond and up to a 160 gr Partition should more than do the job!

On another note I know they are more money but did you consider the kimber montana?

again get what you want sorry for the rant

OldMan,

I have both the 270 WSM and the 300 WSM. I've developed loads for quite a number of rifles chambered in either cartridge. Generally, they all shoot very well. Consequently, and for what it is worth, my favourite WSM is the 7mm WSM, with the 325 WSM being my second favourite chambering. That being said, either the 300 or the 270 will work very well for the game you envision using it on. I agree that "light" does it for me. The Tikka T3 is a very well-built rifle and the two chamberings you list will fill the bill on elk, moose, all varieties of deer, black bear or any other creature you may wish to hunt in North America.

Like the above post, I too have both 270 and 300 WSMs. 270 in a Sako75 Finnlight and the 300WSM in a Rem 700 XCR.
I've shot a few Elk with the 270 using 150gn Partitions and I load 130 BTs for Deer. Also this gun is my "GOTO" gun.
I can't verify but I've heard the barrels of Sakos and Tikka are made on the same line to the same specs. I don't own a Tikka but also have heard many good things about their shooting ability.

This all being said: If your asking me. 270WSM - in a light gun - it's easier on the shoulder and when loaded with the "right" bullet their is no Elk walking you can't shoot.

I have taken elk and muleys with the 270WSM. It is a very good long range rifle. Mine is a M70 with the Laminated stock, but man, it is an excellent shooter and it really does a great job out to farther ranges. The recoil is very mild in my opinion. I think the 300WSM is probably just as good as the full length Win Mag. Elk are not bullet, they are tough and can move a long way with a bad shot, but a good shot into the vitals will anchor any bull with any decent bullet. I am a huge fan of the 270WSM. It shoots flat, hits relatively hard and is very accurate. I don't think it is ideal for all elk, but as long as you are not pushing the bullet all the way through a length wise elk you will do fine. Scotty

Back