270 WSM vs. 300 WSM

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
I am getting interested in these WSM thing...and I was wondering which one of the two would be a wiser choice.

I hunt Chamois and Roe deer in the mountains up to 7000 feet, thus I think the "punch" factor won't be a problem for either of them.

My concerns are more towards Accuracy at long range (beyond 500 yds.), bullet selection (300 wins hands down, although for hunting purposes there is plenty of 270 availability as well) and recoil (270 the winner?).

Also, wind drift will be a primary concern for ridge-to-ridge long shots...

What do you Guys have to say on the above questions ?

What call would you make and why ?

Is there a "real" difference in the field or do they do pretty much the same job up to a certain game size ?

For the time being I am considering both the Tikka T3 (good package for the money) and Sako 85 (more exclusive and better refined).

Thanks a bunch :wink:

P.S.: I am going to hand load my ammo's

Bluejay":3hkhz832 said:
I am getting interested in these WSM thing...and I was wondering which one of the two would be a wiser choice.

I hunt Chamois and Roe deer in the mountains up to 7000 feet, thus I think the "punch" factor won't be a problem for either of them.

My concerns are more towards Accuracy at long range (beyond 500 yds.), bullet selection (300 wins hands down, although for hunting purposes there is plenty of 270 availability as well) and recoil (270 the winner?).

Is there a "real" difference in the field or do they do pretty much the same job up to a certain game size ?

For the time being I am considering both the Tikka T3 (good package for the money) and Sako 85 (more exclusive and better refined).

Hello, i'm from Italy too (answer in english for respect of the others in the forum).

My experience is: Sako 75 inox Synth. - .270WSM with AccuBond 130 grs. you will have a real "shooter" , great accuracy & power ....

My friend have a TikkaT3-Lite inox, in .270wsm , ... the same ....

Theese "Finnish" are great rifles, and for Chamois + Roe Deer , the .270Wsm it's very good.

The powder i use are H4831 and IMR4350, and i'm very happy .
Next powder i would like to try will be the Vihtavuori N560.

I am a huge fan of the 270WSM. I have taken elk and deer with mine using the 140gr Accubonds. For your situation, I would go with the 270WSM. You aren't hunting anything bigger than our elk and the flatter trajectory would be pretty useful in the mountains. Plus, the recoil is less with the 270. I like the 300WSM also, but the 270WSM is just awesome for game under 500lbs. You could use the 140gr AccuBond at a BC of .496 or a 150gr BT at the same. You can easily push the 150 up over 3000FPS and it is a flat and accurate bullet. In all reality they both would work, but for game deer sized, at long ranges, the 270WSM gets the nod in my book. Scotty

Bluejay,

For the game you name and the situations you mention, the 270 WSM will fit the bill very nicely. You would not be dissatisfied with the 300 WSM, but especially if you handload, the 270 WSM will work very well. The T3 is an excellent rifle. I've shot quite a few of them, and all shot very well. Of course, the Sako 85 is also an excellent choice. Some people really make an issue of the metal clip versus the plastic magazine. I am not offended by plastic, however. It holds up very well under heavy use.

Just another option is the 7WSM! Im not a huge fan of wsm but my buddy has a 7wsm and its a tack driver.

Bluejay":36ngkhv9 said:

If you compare the Tikka Hunter model vs the Sako 85 Hunter they use the same barrel for the 300WSM/270WSM.

I own custom 270WSM and 300WSM and when I decided to build another WSM I did a 300WSM. I like the 270WSM but I like the 300WSM alittle better. It's pretty hard to beat the bullet selection for the 30cal. Good Luck.

I "had" to purchase a .270wsm a while back just to fill the numerical gap between my .260 & .280 :grin:
I've never owned a .270 let a lone a wsm. I have to say this cartridge is a real eye opener :shock:
With the 140gr AccuBond, I would not hesitate to take this rifle on an high mountain elk hunt here.
For what it's worth, the one I purchased is a Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA model. Of course you'll never go wrong with a Sako.

Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide.

Bluejay":321ke1j2 said:

....................Even though I own a 300 WSM, I`d go with the 270 WSM for your particular use, which will be primarily used a longer ranged mountain rifle.

The 270 WSM has less recoil, is a slightly flatter shooter and you won`t need heavier bullets beyond 150 gr for the game you`ll be hunting. And here in the states, the good `ol 270 Win (which runs a good 200 fps behind the 270 WSM), has taken alot of elk and moose which are larger and heavier than your Italian game.

Powerstroke":cf6qygp6 said:
I "had" to purchase a .270wsm a while back just to fill the numerical gap between my .260 & .280 :grin:
I've never owned a .270 let a lone a wsm. I have to say this cartridge is a real eye opener :shock:
With the 140gr AccuBond, I would not hesitate to take this rifle on an high mountain elk hunt here.
For what it's worth, the one I purchased is a Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA model. Of course you'll never go wrong with a Sako.

Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide.

Mark, I am glad I am not the only one admitting the "need" to fill caliber gaps!

Are you going to hunt with your 270WSM this year? Scotty

Scotty -

Sportsmans had the SUB MOA on the rack for around $520.00 I want to say - that is the only reason short of numerical listing I have it in my safe.
I was hopeful that my wife would take it over, but the recoil is a little heavy for her. I took the scope off of it, and moved them around so I could get one back on her .260

I know better, but I'm thinking the .257Bee is going to get the nod this Nov.

beretzs":31wzidse said:
I am a huge fan of the 270WSM. I have taken elk and deer with mine using the 140gr Accubonds. For your situation, I would go with the 270WSM. You aren't hunting anything bigger than our elk and the flatter trajectory would be pretty useful in the mountains. Plus, the recoil is less with the 270. I like the 300WSM also, but the 270WSM is just awesome for game under 500lbs. You could use the 140gr AccuBond at a BC of .496 or a 150gr BT at the same. You can easily push the 150 up over 3000FPS and it is a flat and accurate bullet. In all reality they both would work, but for game deer sized, at long ranges, the 270WSM gets the nod in my book. Scotty

Scotty, it might be that in the future I'll have some chances on Red Stags, which I still think the .270 WSM can handle with a 140 AB....

CAhunter":31wzidse said:
Just another option is the 7WSM! Im not a huge fan of wsm but my buddy has a 7wsm and its a tack driver.

Very good caliber indeed ! ...and in some aspects, I'd prefer it to the .270 (mainly for bullet selection).
Unfortunately, I believe there is no manufacturer in Europe who offers this chambering these days, probably because of too much "overlapping" with other good 7's (7 Rem.Mag. above all, 7x64 Brenneke).
It's a pity ! :cry:

30-338":31wzidse said:
It's pretty hard to beat the bullet selection for the 30cal.....

I agree, although only if you go beyond 150 grs. (168, 180), but then you start loosing on bullet trajectory vs. a 140 grs. .270 WSM :wink:

Big Squeeze":31wzidse said:
The 270 WSM has less recoil, is a slightly flatter shooter and you won`t need heavier bullets beyond 150 gr for the game you`ll be hunting. And here in the states, the good `ol 270 Win (which runs a good 200 fps behind the 270 WSM), has taken alot of elk and moose which are larger and heavier than your Italian game.

Yep, I agree.
Btw, I have intensively used a .270 Win. Remington 700 and never had any complaints (nor did the several Roe deer and Chamois I have taken with it... :lol: ). I eventually sold that rifle, to step back to a smaller caliber/rifle (6,5x57R Blaser K95 Single shot).
I am now in need of a more powerful caliber to be used in some of the areas I hunt in, where shots are presented well over 400 yds. and up to 600, with shooting ridge to ridge and wind is often a present spectator :wink:

Guys, what do you think of a .270 WSM to be (rarely) used in long range target shooting ? Would it be able to state its words ?

I think it has strong potential in long-range target shooting.

Many target shooters will state up front that there's a poor selection of match grade bullets for the .270, and compared to the .30 or the 7mm, they're right.

There are however some very good target bullets avail for the .270 bore.

Berger makes a 130, 140 and a 150 gr VLD, they now call them their "hunting" VLD, but originally these were intended for long range target shooting.

Nosler has a light 115 gr competition bullet, likely not suitable for true long-range competition.

Nosler's Ballistic Tip is avail in 130, 140 & 150 versions and the B-Tip has been used in competition.

Sierra offers a 135 gr HPBT Matchking as well. Perhaps not ideal for long-range competition, but likely not bad...

So yes, if you want to take in an occasional long-range match with your .270 WSM, I think you can find a suitable projectile - if for some reason you don't want to use your hunting load.

The WSM's impress me with their compact size and excellent accuracy potential. My only WSM is a .300 which I like very much, but I'd be tempted to re-barrel to a 7mm WSM someday.

Best of luck! Guy

Powerstroke":tudv45nt said:
Scotty -

Sportsmans had the SUB MOA on the rack for around $520.00 I want to say - that is the only reason short of numerical listing I have it in my safe.
I was hopeful that my wife would take it over, but the recoil is a little heavy for her. I took the scope off of it, and moved them around so I could get one back on her .260

I know better, but I'm thinking the .257Bee is going to get the nod this Nov.

With whatever you end up shooting, all three of them are excellent. The 270WSM, is a great one though.. Scotty

Guy Miner":1reg0uhl said:
I think it has strong potential in long-range target shooting.

Many target shooters will state up front that there's a poor selection of match grade bullets for the .270, and compared to the .30 or the 7mm, they're right.

There are however some very good target bullets avail for the .270 bore.

Berger makes a 130, 140 and a 150 gr VLD, they now call them their "hunting" VLD, but originally these were intended for long range target shooting.

Nosler has a light 115 gr competition bullet, likely not suitable for true long-range competition.

Nosler's Ballistic Tip is avail in 130, 140 & 150 versions and the B-Tip has been used in competition.

Sierra offers a 135 gr HPBT Matchking as well. Perhaps not ideal for long-range competition, but likely not bad...

So yes, if you want to take in an occasional long-range match with your .270 WSM, I think you can find a suitable projectile - if for some reason you don't want to use your hunting load.

The WSM's impress me with their compact size and excellent accuracy potential. My only WSM is a .300 which I like very much, but I'd be tempted to re-barrel to a 7mm WSM someday.

Best of luck! Guy

Yes, ... 135 Sierra MK x 65,00 grs. H4831 ... great accuracy (170 mt. / 185 yds. ) - 3 rounds = 12mm. x 6 mm. (0.47")
mk135h483165002.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Here is an average group with the 150gr BT's out of my 270WSM using RL22
DSC_0009.jpg

Here is another using 150gr PT's and RL22 - IMR7828SSC
DSC_0012.jpg

Overall, my 270WSM has been one of the easiest to load for magnums I own. Very accurate and fast with regular published loads. It is a winner for me. I don't think it would let you down with your intended hunting. Scotty

The freezer paper doesn't do this one justic, as it wasn't backed up very well and the paper tore -
Milk Jugs @ 500yds are no issue with this load.

May_2010002.jpg

That is some serious great shooting Mark! I have never messed with anything other than Noslers and a few Hornady's out of mine. That makes mine look like a scattergun! Might have to continue tweaking my BT load some! Scotty

Back