.277 140 Ballistic Tip

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
A local shop has 20 of so boxes of these 140 BTs, I’ve always shot the 140 AB, how stout of bullet are these.? I know some ballistic tips have a thicker jackets than others. I love the 140 AB but was thinking of a good alternative bullet. I know the 150BT are tuff bullets. Does anyone have real world experience with this 270 140 ballistic tip? If you have some first hand knowledge of this bullet please share. Thanks

When I had my 270 Win rifle (LH Rem 700 LSS) it shot the Federal Premium 140 gr BT ammunition very well. It worked well on mule deer, caribou and mountain goat from 95 to 150 yards; all one shot kills with heart/lung and/or double lung shot placement. All shots were pass throughs, so I am unable to provide details on expansion or weight retention, as I never recovered a bullet from game.

The only other animal taken with that rifle was a moose at 116 yards with the 140 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (also in Federal Premium ammunition). One pass through, and one finishing shot in the neck. The recovered bullet was double expansion, but only 60% weight retention.

I really liked the 140 gr AccuBond for accuracy, but only used them in the 270 WSM and Wby. Unfortunately, I never harvested any game with this bullet in these rifles, for comparison on game. Due to the higher velocities of these magnums, the comparison would not exactly be apples-to-apples in nature.

As I am about to get my new-to-me 270 Win (LH Steyr-Mannlicher Model M w/ full stock and 20" barrel), I am looking forward to developing a good load with the 140 gr AccuBond.

When I had my 270 Win rifle (LH Rem 700 LSS) it shot the Federal Premium 140 gr BT ammunition very well. It worked well on mule deer, caribou and mountain goat from 95 to 150 yards; all one shot kills with heart/lung and/or double lung shot placement. All shots were pass throughs, so I am unable to provide details on expansion or weight retention, as I never recovered a bullet from game.

The only other animal taken with that rifle was a moose at 116 yards with the 140 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (also in Federal Premium ammunition). One pass through, and one finishing shot in the neck. The recovered bullet was double expansion, but only 60% weight retention.

I really liked the 140 gr AccuBond for accuracy, but only used them in the 270 WSM and Wby. Unfortunately, I never harvested any game with this bullet in these rifles, for comparison on game. Due to the higher velocities of these magnums, the comparison would not exactly be apples-to-apples in nature.

As I am about to get my new-to-me 270 Win (LH Steyr-Mannlicher Model M w/ full stock and 20" barrel), I am looking forward to developing a good load with the 140 gr AccuBond.
Great review and congrats on the new 270 win coming your way! Sounds awesome..

I used to use the 140gr BT’s years ago, then switched to 130’s. The 140’s worked great on deer and hogs. I got a great deal on a bunch of 130 grain Ballistic Tips and have used them since. Ive not really seen a difference in the two on deer. Neither is excessively fragile. Both will give a pass through on broadside lung shots and will short circuit everything in the animal. I think the 140 smacks them a little harder when put into the shoulder.

Loaded some for my son when he was shooting the 270 and they did just fine on our whitetails. Shots were from 50-150 yds or there abouts. All passed thru and didn't recover any that I remember. I'd use them again and just might at some point in my new barrel. IMR4831 was what we used at the time. Dan.

Back