28 Nosler on Long Range Elk

victorc

Beginner
Jul 2, 2006
I put together a 28 Nosler rifle for a friend of mine specifically for a limited entry elk hunt he had drawn this year. He doesn't reload so I set the rifle up for the factory Nosler 175 grain AccuBond Long Range cartridges. Honestly, I'm impressed with their velocity and accuracy. I clocked them at just over 3,100 fps and maintained 1.5" groups with them at 200 yards. This was at an altitude of 4,950 ft and a temperature of 55 degrees F.

He hunted multiple days but couldn't find the bull he wanted. With the season coming to a close he made the decision this last Friday to make a serious long range shot on a big stink nasty 5x5. His son ranged him 3 times at 1,138 yards. The bull was standing slightly quartered away in the sun. They dialed up the turret to 1,150 yards on the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 scope and got as dead solid rest as possible. They said the report came back with a pop and the big 5x5 dropped where is stood. The bullet entered behind the left front shoulder and exited through the right front shoulder taking a piece of the heart and both lungs with it.

Attachments

• RandyBull2016.jpg
    RandyBull2016.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 2,572
Can't ask for better performance than that. Heck of a shot too, far longer than I've ever tried!

That's an amazing bull and a really good shot! Congrats on the bull and build.

Nicely done, congratulations on some fine shooting and a dandy bull.

JD338

Great bull and great shot! What was impact velocity? Looks to be excellent bullet performance.

I've been toying with building a 28 nosler for long range hunting. What are rifle specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back