280 AI 150 gr ABLR

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I am almost there with my load development for the 7mm 150 gr ABLR in the 280 AI.
What I have found is that this bullet likes a lot of jump to the lands. Accuracy is only getting better.
On game performance is excellent, having see its effectiveness on crop damage WT deer already.

My load is 61.0 grs RL22, R-P case and Federal GM215M primers. With a COL of 3.404", I am .155" off the lands. MV 3089 fps, ES 36 SD 14, the Oehler 35 was 12'. Accuracy is pretty decent at .690"
Almost there!
049.jpg

Here is the first kill with the 7mm 150 gr ABLR at 275 yds. Bullet entered just in front of the right shoulder and exited behind the left shoulder , leaving an exit wound about the size of a nickel. DRT and she still has beans in her mouth.
048.jpg

Second deer was taken by my buddy Bill at 385 yds. Entrance was behind the left shoulder and exited on the short ribs on the off side with an exit about the size of a nickel. She went about 30 yards and piled up.
044.jpg

I also recovered 2 bullets from water jugs at 100 yards. Both bullets were recovered in the 4th jug.
They measure .550"; 79 grs and .517"; 77 grs.
057.jpg

056.jpg

055.jpg

JD338

Indeed, that looks as if the load is shaping up quite nicely, Jim. It has turned hot, so I'm putting off elk and moose hunting for a bit in hopes of cooler weather. Then, I hope to have a report on performance of the 150 grain ABLR from the .280 Rem.

Awesome Jim. Looks good any news on the 175's? Looks Nosler has them done right. How has the BC been? Or have you got around to testing them yet?

MIke,

Good luck with the field testing once the temps drop. I think you will be pleased with the performance.

Jake,

The advertised BC is .611 and it seems to be close, at least at my 1500' elevation out to 385 yds. My zero shifted right after my initial zero. The doe I shot was hit about 3" further right than I had aimed. Bill had the same thing happen, hitting his doe about 4" farther right than he had aimed. Elevation on both was dead on.

JD338

Way to go Jim. Very impressive groups and yup, seems like they like the jump, just as the regular AB's do. The 168's are shooting pretty decent in the 7mm and the 150's are doing very well in the 270WSM as well.

Seems like the retained weight at 100 yards is about double what I got at the muzzle, so that is very promising as well. I kinda figured these bullets would really do well, once they are able to get their hands on them.

Awesome write up Jim. Seems like you are really making them sing!

JD, thank you for the report. I am hoping to have my 280AI for the Whitetail season and will be using the 168grs or the 150gr. if they are available here north of the 49th.
Thanks again for the information as I have already wrote is my trusty note book :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Cool
I got mine in on Friday
I spoke with Mike at Nosler and he recommended H4831SC and loaded hot per Nosler manual

mkcj":1lmv6wjb said:
This is a very good write up thank you.

mkcj

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here buddy.
There are a lot of knowledgeable fellas here willing to help and share their experience.

JD338

Nice Work buddy! I can't wait to try to find some for my 280 AI. I'm looking at running the 168 ABLR for my upcoming Idaho Mule deer hunt. A buddy is getting dang near 3000 out of his with a 26" tube. I think I could get 2900-2950 with them in mine. They sure seem to be doing well in the jugs tests.

Hey Jake, Sportsmans in Kennewick had a box of those in stock yesterday.

Corey

C.Smith":10snsbsw said:
Hey Jake, Sportsmans in Kennewick had a box of those in stock yesterday.

Corey

Thanks! I wish I would have seen this earlier. My wife was over there a few days ago. I'm not getting out much lately. Gearing up for corn harvest and getting all the fall planting done has had me running around like crazy.

Back