280 AI 150 gr ABLR

Looking good JD, keep at it,I know she will be cutting holes soon on paper! :mrgreen:

Don

C.Smith":33n1ipb5 said:
yes you make me want a 280 AI everytime I read any of your posts.

Corey
Only one way to scratch that itch. ;)
The 280 AI with the 150 gr ABLR at 3100 fps shoots flat and hits hard.

JD338

I actually bought my Savage just to use for a donor for a 280 AI. But I made the mistake and shot it. Shoots too well t mess with

Corey

Good reason to get another one. ;)
Get a barrel ordered for a Savage. That will be the longest part of the wait.
Just need to figure out brand, contour, weight and length.
I have a Hart #5 fluted 24" barrel.
I have all the load data you need to get started.

JD338

On the Savage you can swap barrels all you need is the tool to remove the barrel nut. Pac-Nor is 4 months out. They even make a nut for a Rem 700 to turn it into a switch barrel. You may have to get a set of go no-go gauges but that's it.

I built mine on a Savage. Sent a dummy round to Pac Nor and had a barrel a few months after. A year or so later, I was able to upgrade stocks to a McMillan. It is now the best shooting rifle I own. If you go that direction, you will be very happy with it. The savage is a great way to go if you want to slowly add parts yourself while you use it over the years.

My barrel is a 24" three groove. I don't have the room in the mag that JD does, so my AOL is shorter, but it still functions like I wanted. I am getting 2950 with the 160 AB and 3200 with the 140 BT and AB. All shoot under .5" all day long.

Jake,

What powder and charge weights are you using.

JD338

I'm running 59 gr RL-22 with the 160 AB, and if I remember right 62 gr of RL-22 for the 140 AB. I think I was running 59.5 or 60gr. with 7828 and the 160 AB.

d1I shoot RL-17 for the 140 BT. Shoots tiny little groups, and gets me over 3200. I can't remember the charge, 58 gr I think?

Well, got a chance to burn a few 150 ABLRs through my Kimber 280AI. Just found out that to the lands is 3.420. I was running 'em at 3.300, for a jump of 0.120. As I recall, JD did well with a jump of about .150 and I think Doc recommended around 0.060. Looking for a little advice from you guys on how to proceed. 60.5 and 61 of RL 22 were the most promising, but still over an inch. The former was stringing horizontally and the later was slinging vertically. The rifle probably needs a better driver, as I'm a little rusty. I'm thinking of trying to stretch up to 3.360, but not sure they'll work through the mag. Also thinking of trying an old friend in IMR 7828sc. Any inputs would be welcome and appreciated. Oh yeah, the brass is Nosler and the primers are Rem 9.5Ms. It shoots about 1.5MOA with factory Nosler 140 AB loads.
Joe

Joe, I'd give 7828 a try. Maybe try lengthening them a touch if you can. Sounds like yor pretty close right now.

I did a few ladder test with mine a few weeks ago. I used RL-22, 7828, and RL-17. I'm not sure how far off the lands they are, but they are as long as I can fit in my box. 3.345" is where the 140AB, 160 AB, and 140 BT shoot, and it was around .010" off when I built the loads many rounds ago. I'll check it with the 150 ABRL tomorrow.

RL-22 and 7828 all went bang and didn't produce anything spectacular in terms of a ladder test.

I know RL-17 seems like an odd choice, but I figured that the bearing surface of the 150 ABLR is around the same or less than the 140 BT, that it might work out ok. I know with the 140 BT and RL-17 I was able to get four or five different powder charges to shoot under .75", with three of them under .5", as well as being able to push it up to 3220 fps without any issues at all.

Anyways, back to the 150 ABLR, RL-17 produced the best results from the ladder test. I took the three charges that made a nice little group and loaded up three of each. I have not had a chance to shoot them yet, but I'm hoping to this week. We'll see how things turn out. I'll get the chrony set up for this test and get some speeds to report, as well as some tiny little groups, hopefully.

My initial load attempt was disappointing.
Started at 59.5g of H4831SC and ran up to 60.3
Hovering around 2800 FPS
Groups not good.
I chose the powder based on a conversation with a Nosler tech even though I think it may be a bit too fast burning.

I may table this until after deer season and just go back to my go to load with the 140 AB

ccoker":pi9r1imp said:
My initial load attempt was disappointing.
Started at 59.5g of H4831SC and ran up to 60.3
Hovering around 2800 FPS
Groups not good.
I chose the powder based on a conversation with a Nosler tech even though I think it may be a bit too fast burning.

I may table this until after deer season and just go back to my go to load with the 140 AB

What caliber are you shooting?

JD338

I loaded them to the same COAL as the 140 ABs which I duplicated the factory ammo as it shot well.

Back