280 AI build

I have not seen it yet. My buddy sent me a text with just the Winchester logo on the action showing underneath the new finish on it. It looked pretty sharp all 1.2 inches of action I saw! Bastard teasing me like that.

6mm Remington":1303pt6g said:
I have not seen it yet. My buddy sent me a text with just the Winchester logo on the action showing underneath the new finish on it. It looked pretty sharp all 1.2 inches of action I saw! Bastard teasing me like that.
Lol...yeah, that's just not right.

6mm Remington":2ts571by said:

I think your buddy would fit in perfect around here......... :twisted:

I picked up my .280 Nosler AI last night! Oh man is it lovely. Can a rifle be lovely? :p :mrgreen: I'll try and get some photo's posted in a couple of days. I'll take them outside where the light will be good so it really shows it off. He did a really nice job on this thing. Man I need to get a scope now! Not sure how I goofed on this, but the barrel is a Shilen air-gauged barrel and not a Douglas like I originally posted.

January 27th (Yesterday when I picked it up.) would have been my father's birthday and he's the one that pushed me do just do something purely for myself with the money he left me. Pretty cool.

That is GREAT David. I am very happy for you. I know how much your Dad and your family means to you. Your 280 AI should be really excellent for you.. Plus, I think your Dad was a 7mm Rem Mag guy so you two aren't too far away from one another there.

I cannot wait to see pictures of your rifle. I'd take pictures of targets too.. :grin:

Well, you're certainly building excitement. Really glad you got the rifle. With the back story, it makes it sweeter still. We're really looking forward to seeing the rifle and then watching as you wring it out.

SJB358":1f90k7tc said:
That is GREAT David. I am very happy for you. I know how much your Dad and your family means to you. Your 280 AI should be really excellent for you.. Plus, I think your Dad was a 7mm Rem Mag guy so you two aren't too far away from one another there.

I cannot wait to see pictures of your rifle. I'd take pictures of targets too.. :grin:
Yes he was a 7mm Mag guy. Can't hold that against him though! :grin: Not sure how soon it will be to posting targets. Need to save a bit for a scope. :roll: It's always something!

DrMike":1f90k7tc said:
Well, you're certainly building excitement. Really glad you got the rifle. With the back story, it makes it sweeter still. We're really looking forward to seeing the rifle and then watching as you wring it out.
Thanks Mike. It's been many years that I have dreamed about something like this. It turned out just perfect.

I have some pictures of the finished product. I'm sure happy with it. Bob Peterson here in Missoula did the work and it looks to be first class! I can't wait to get some optics on it and go shooting!

The wood in the stock is very pretty and I really like how the black coating turned out on the metal. It is called molly resin by John Norrell Arms. He did an excellent recessed crown on the Shilen barrel which is the standard Model 70 contour. Trigger was set right at 2.5 pounds. (y) :grin:

Very, very handsome, David. That came out most attractive. Refresh my memory, what optics are you planning on using?

DrMike":1ji31000 said:
Very, very handsome, David. That came out most attractive. Refresh my memory, what optics are you planning on using?
Mike I think I'm going to get the Leupold VX3 - 4.5-14x40mm with the B&C reticle. Going to go with the Talley mounts that are the ring and base all in one.

Excellent choice in scope and mounts, David. I have that same scope which is shortly to be mounted on one of my rifles.

David,

Beautiful rifle, congratulations.
You are going to really love the 280AI. Let me know what I can do to help you with bullets, loads etc.

JD338

that's a standard winchester contour? Meaning non-magnum? It looks pretty beefy, I really like it. 8)

very classic look, just beautiful! :grin:

David that is a beautiful rifle once you get that Leuy on it you will be set. What is your plan for bullet development? I took JD's advice & I really like 150gr. ABLR & RL-22 powder. I am still playing with seating depth just too tweek that last little bit of accuracy.
Looking forward to the range reports with photos I hope.

Blessings,
Dan

Turned out really nice David! That will be an excellent choice for the optic and bases. Send those bases out to be coated to match the gun and the entire package will be nicely matching. I have a VX-3 4.5-14x40mm that has a 30mm tube and the side focus and it is my favorite! It's on my 280AI too.
Scott

NWBlacktail":13m953i9 said:
that's a standard winchester contour? Meaning non-magnum? It looks pretty beefy, I really like it. 8)

very classic look, just beautiful! :grin:
NW the .270 Winchester factory barrel had almost the exact same contour as this one according to my gunsmith. He said it was extremely close. I have not weighed the rifle yet but maybe I'll get my scales out. It doesn't feel overly heavy.

muleman":13m953i9 said:
Turned out really nice David! That will be an excellent choice for the optic and bases. Send those bases out to be coated to match the gun and the entire package will be nicely matching. I have a VX-3 4.5-14x40mm that has a 30mm tube and the side focus and it is my favorite! It's on my 280AI too.
Scott
Great idea on the bases. I think I will do that! Thanks.

nvbroncrider":13m953i9 said:
That's classy love the matte black on it just looks right. Ready for use.

I thought it turned out nice Jake. I was really happy with it.

sask boy":13m953i9 said:
David that is a beautiful rifle once you get that Leuy on it you will be set. What is your plan for bullet development? I took JD's advice & I really like 150gr. ABLR & RL-22 powder. I am still playing with seating depth just too tweek that last little bit of accuracy.
Looking forward to the range reports with photos I hope.

Blessings,
Dan
Dan that will be one of the bullets I try out in it. I sure like those Accubonds and with the 1 in 9 I went with it should stabilize them nicely.

nvbroncrider":24pvhnke said:
That's classy love the matte black on it just looks right. Ready for use.
As you can imagine Jake they have numerous variations of different colors you can get. I could have gotten one with the really dark shiny finish that is close to the factory metal, but I really didn't want it to be that bright and reflective. This product got lots of good reviews so I guess I'll see how it wears.

Back