280 AI build

6mm Remington":1cq5djtw said:
nvbroncrider":1cq5djtw said:
That's classy love the matte black on it just looks right. Ready for use.
As you can imagine Jake they have numerous variations of different colors you can get. I could have gotten one with the really dark shiny finish that is close to the factory metal, but I really didn't want it to be that bright and reflective. This product got lots of good reviews so I guess I'll see how it wears.

Before now I had never heard of moly resin...being the curious sort that I am I did some digging.

All info points toward moly resin being a VERY GOOD coating...different in composition but identical in performance to CeraKote...and easier to apply at home (only slightly).

David, just wanted to say one more time. That rifle is beautiful. I think you may have found that rifle that you can hunt with forever and not miss a beat! Good on you buddy!

Thanks RR665 it does seem to really be nice. It is on the bottom metal and the rails and it seems to make the rails slick also. Man the bolt really slides nicely and seems to get slicker each time I cycle it. I know right, I've been drooling on it and won't deny that! :grin:

Scott thanks for all the help and for pushing me when I needed a little nudging to just do this thing. I'm very glad I did and cannot wait to shoot it. :shock:

I can't wait for some targets and stuff.

I will say I really like the Talley QD mounts on Model 70's David. They looks sleek and are very strong.

And on Brandon's 300WBY

David,

Did you decide on the glass yet?
Maybe you can borrow a scope off another rifle
and get her to the range.

JD338

That is a very nice looking rifle you have there. I sold a stock to NVbroncrider that looked just like it.

Think I have decided on the glass. Just need to save some $$$ to get it Jim.

Truck driver that is a pretty piece of wood for sure. I really like it. It just feels good too!

Scotty those mounts do look first class too! I like them.

6mm Remington":3nmpzoo9 said:
Think I have decided on the glass. Just need to save some $$$ to get it Jim.

Truck driver that is a pretty piece of wood for sure. I really like it. It just feels good too!

Scotty those mounts do look first class too! I like them.

Give Talley a call David. As a LEO you may rate a discount on there stuff. I really use a lot of Talleys nowadays. Their QD mounts without the levers are my favorite.

That is a very nice practical rifle should be able to take care of most anything.

Looking good, sir. And I like the blackened bolt body; really sets off the extractor!

STW":1p877m2m said:
That is a very nice practical rifle should be able to take care of most anything.
And hopefully this spring it will take care of a nice black bear! That would be wonderful if I get it all set up by the time season opens.

Hegland":1p877m2m said:
Looking good, sir. And I like the blackened bolt body; really sets off the extractor!
Justin I like it too. The bottom metal and everything was done in the same coating. When I get rings I think I'm going to have them coated to match. That will look nice I believe.

6mm Remington":3vyjvdve said:
http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/getmetafile/1427134b-1691-4321-964a-fccdc5499438/silver-lw.aspx

Should I go with these and the black mat Leupold? It would set it off and look like the extractor on the bolt.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/geta ... image.aspx

Or go with these?

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/geta ... image.aspx

Scotty are these the ones you were thinking of. They are pretty sharp too! Do you lap these like other rings? I would think they can be lapped.

I have the bottom set of Talleys you listed on my 35 Newton. Very strong rings and easily set up or adjusted.

I have these on my 338 and my sons 300 Wby WITHOUT the levers

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Prod ... Lever-(Low)-(Matte).aspx

I like both the fixed rings and the QDs without the lever.

I do not lap Talleys. I've ran a few sets with the alignment bars and they have been excellent.

David,

Hotdog, she's a beaut! Been a long time coming, but I know she was worth the wait. Can't wait to hear your tales of load development and taking her out hunting.

Take Care Friend,

Joe

EOD Diver":3r0jsbjx said:
David,

Hotdog, she's a beaut! Been a long time coming, but I know she was worth the wait. Can't wait to hear your tales of load development and taking her out hunting.

Take Care Friend,

Joe
Thanks Joe. I am very pleased and really excited to get optics on it!

Almost have enough $$$ saved up to get the optics on this thing and start shooting!! Woooooooooooooooo (y)

Hi 6mm,

Looking good. I agree completely with the scope recommendations. I have a VX3 4.5x14x40 B&C on at T/C in .280 Rem I really like. It would be just that much better with a CDC. The B&C is great for fast shots and the CDC would allow for very accurate long range shots if desired.

You're a little behind me in load development as I am 120 rounds into identifying loads for my M48 Patriot in .280 Nos AI. So far everything is looking great with 160 gr Sierra Game Kings the best. I also have a good start on 140 Nosler AB, but they are not available right now and I plan on switching ton ABLR's as they are actually less expensive. This is a dual purpose rifle for hunting and silhouette competition where the less expensive Sierra's rule.

Regrettably my Patriot is on its way to Bend for a look at a safety problem. I hope to have it back in June.

Once you get going on loads it will be fun to switch this thread to reloading and compare notes.

Congratulations and sub MOA wishes to you and your rifle.

Picked up the scope and mounts yesterday and took it out this morning. Forgot my camera at home and I cannot get my pictures to load onto photobucket so I can put them on this site.

I got Talley mounts and a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40mm with the B&C reticle and it has an adjustable objective for paralax.

I shot it once and cleaned for 14 shots. When I got it dialed in pretty close at 100 I shot 6 shots that grouped very nicely, again cleaning between each shot. Shot number five is just a bit out and that was all David. It looks like it's really going to be a shooter. The factory 140's chronographed right at 3040 fps. I'll try again to get pictures on here!

Looking forward to the pictures, David. It sounds quite exciting.

Back