280 AI build

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
My gunsmith informed me that my .280 AI is complete. It is now off to a guy to be coated in one of those hi-tech mat black finishes. The action is blued and the barrel is stainless, and that does kind of look cool, but having the whole thing coated will be neat as well, and it just gives it a bit more protection from the elements.

I will bore you with the specifics once more as I could not find my original post about this project.

Action: Model 70 Classic - action trued and squared up, bolt face squared up perfectly, lugs lapped, trigger adjusted and tuned up to 2.5 pounds.

Barrel: SHILEN premium air gauged stainless matching the model 70 standard contour, 1 in 9 twist

Stock: Winchester classic walnut which has been pillar and glass bedded.

Mounts: Talley lightweight one piece base/ring mounts which I will lap once I buy them and mount them up.

Scope: Still not sure but looking like one of these three.
Leupold 6x42 fixed power with the long range reticle installed matching the ballistics of what I intend to shoot out of this thing.
Leupold 4.5-14x40mm with the B&C reticle
Zeiss Conquest HD5 in 2-10x42 or 3-15x42 with the Z600 reticle

Metal coating: John Norrell Arms - moly resin

Gunsmith: Bob Peterson

Very cool!

Several stores still have the Leupold VX3 CDS on sale for $100 or so off. I think that includes the 4.5x14 40mm. I know you were looking at the different reticles, but the CDS might be an option. Midway still has them on sale.

Can't wait to see it after it gets coated. 8)

Man, that is great news, David. I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures. That should be a delight to handle.

Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see it. Funny, I am building this rifles little sister, 7x57 AI. Just finished up as well, same action, 9 twist Krieger. Not going to coat it for now. Can't wait to see your pics and how she shoots. What bullets will you be using? I just bought a Vortex HS-T 6-24 MOA for $629, just a thought....

David,

She sounds like a sweetheart of a build. Looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing how she shoots.
Any of the scopes you mentioned would be nice. Mine currently has a Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm with M1 dials.
When I took it to WY for antelope, she was wearing a VX-3 3.5-10x40mm with a CDS dial.

JD338

Sounds like a really nice build, looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. Bet you find a great load real quick...........

One of the Leupold's would be my choice when it comes to a scope.

Todd I probably witll start with 140 gr. Partitions and Accubonds.

Gerry I'll look through the scopes one more time and then decide. I've had great luck with Leupold.

David,

Don't overlook the 150 gr ABLR and 150 gr PT. These two are just about perfect for the 280AI.

JD338

Sounds perfect David. I think you'd do well with the 6X. It'd be about as clean wait gets and would keep the rifle trim.

I'm with Jim, 150's are really pretty skookum in the 7mms.

Did you already get dies?

SJB358":2a9bsbu0 said:
Sounds perfect David. I think you'd do well with the 6X. It'd be about as clean wait gets and would keep the rifle trim.

I'm with Jim, 150's are really pretty skookum in the 7mms.

Did you already get dies?
No dies yet. Man I have a lot of stuff to get. Dies, brass, bullets, scope, mounts. :grin:

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of this one.

If you haven't got a scope picked out yet I'd look at the Zeiss HD5 line. I've got two of them and very pleased. They blow the old Conquest like out of the water.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Give a look at the Talley QDs David. They are very rugged steel mounts and bases. They will add a little weight but they look GOOD on Model 70's.

I know this is a dream rifle for you. I cannot wait to see how it shoots.

This thing is going to be in my mitts here in a few days. I just want to warn you all in advance I might take some photographs and post them up! I just want you to be forewarned! :p (y)

6mm Remington":1i7jo8rc said:
This thing is going to be in my mitts here in a few days. I just want to warn you all in advance I might take some photographs and post them up! I just want you to be forewarned! [emoji14] (y)
Looking forward to it!

6mm Remington":p3psn9go said:
This thing is going to be in my mitts here in a few days. I just want to warn you all in advance I might take some photographs and post them up! I just want you to be forewarned! :p (y)

That will be mandatory, David. We're all anticipating this rifle almost as much as you.

Yeah, this thing is a long time coming. Can't wait to see it all finished up.

Targets will be mandatory!

Back