280 rem vs 280 AI

The Oregonian

Beginner
Aug 13, 2012
So I understand you can shoot 280 rem in 280 AI, but not the other way around.

My question is this...if considering a 280 rem, is there any reason not to go 280 AI other than costs? In other words, dont you have the option to load AI if you want the xa punch, but if in a pinch, you just shoot 280 rem ammo and be just as effective as if your rifle was chambered in 280 rem...

Or is shooting 280 AI thru a 280 rem, like decreased accuracy, etc?

I would not be worried about the extra few hundred bucks to buy the AI, but just seems like it offers more flexibility than the 280 rem, which is a fine cartridge in itself if you never took advantage of the AI capability....

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tom, you are correct, you can fire 280 Rem in your AI, but not vice versa. The 280AI has the ability to match factory loaded 7mm Rem Mag loads, using less powder. Overall, you can't go wrong with either cartridge, you may find firing 280 Rem in 280AI chambers will result in a little less speed than it would be in a 280 Rem chamber, as the case needs to blow itself out to fit the chamber. If you were in a pinch though, I doubt you would care too much. Handloaded to modern PSI specs, both are some excellent rounds.

What rifles are you looking at going with? Are you going to buy a rifle and build an AI or buy one? Good luck with the search, there are some nice 280 AI's out there now.

I was in the same situation several months ago but decided on the 280 Rem. I am happy with my 280. The accuracy is great, it is easy to reload for, the speeds are right up there with 7mm mag numbers without losing accuracy. I know the 280 Ackley is a fine chambering and if you got one, I think you would be as happy as I am with my 280 Rem. You really can't lose in one this one.

As fine a cartridge as the 280 AI is, I've had three 280 Remingtons, and I really like them. I don't feel that I have been cheated in any manner. I'd buy another if I were presented the choice between a 280 and a 280 AI.

You are correct, you fire form 280 AI with 20 Rem cases.
You will on average gain 100-150 fps with the 280 AI over the 280 Rem.
If your shooting is inside 400 yds, you really won't see that much of a difference on deer sized game.

JD338

I shoot lefty (right handed but left eye dominant), so my choices are limited, especially with Nosler. I would prefer a Nosler rifle, especially being in Oregon, but I need to balance that with selection as well.

Not sure if Nosler would build a 280 rem but I have emailed Shawn to find out.

Thx

Tom

The Oregonian":2vklk9wb said:
I shoot lefty (right handed but left eye dominant), so my choices are limited, especially with Nosler. I would prefer a Nosler rifle, especially being in Oregon, but I need to balance that with selection as well.

Not sure if Nosler would build a 280 rem but I have emailed Shawn to find out.

Thx

Tom

You contactd the right man. Shawn will take good care of you.

JD338

Personally, I think that you have made a sound decision going with the standard .280 Rem, however, I have only owned (4) .280 Rems (2-Brownings, 1-Model 70 and 1-Remington, Mountain Rifle). These were all the standard caliber but I can not see spending more for a special reamer and for premium cases when the standard case (not AI) will hit 3010 fps with a 160 gr Partition using IMR 7828 SSC. This is within 50 fps of my 7mm Rem Mag with that same bullet. I doubt that any deer or elk shot with the that load would be able to tell the difference.

When someone says or writes "I doubt that any deer or elk shot with the that load would be able to tell the difference," as Oldtrader3 has stated, that is a short but correct version of:
you have two (or three) chamberings that are up to the task of delivering an adequate or more than adequate size bullet at a velocity that will provide more than enough penetration and / or expansion needed for a quick kill, provided you do your job and put the bullet where it needs to be for that quick kill.

I like Oldtrader3's words better.

I have a 280 AI and really love it. My take on the AI theory is that at the least you will be getting max 280 loads that shoot great. Best case is you are shooting a 7 Mag. I think the AI allows a guy to be right at the max parent case, if his/her gun does not shoot great at the top, or the top node is a grain or two down from the max charge.

If you have a AI anything, and it is not shooting good between the max parent case speeds, and the max AI speeds, chances are something is up.

Oldtrader3":inkurxk8 said:
Personally, I think that you have made a sound decision going with the standard .280 Rem, however, I have only owned (4) .280 Rems (2-Brownings, 1-Model 70 and 1-Remington, Mountain Rifle). These were all the standard caliber but I can not see spending more for a special reamer and for premium cases when the standard case (not AI) will hit 3010 fps with a 160 gr Partition using IMR 7828 SSC. This is within 50 fps of my 7mm Rem Mag with that same bullet. I doubt that any deer or elk shot with the that load would be able to tell the difference.

Sound advice I use the same powder with the 160AB at just a bit under 2900 fps. I switched from the 160 Partition when the AccuBond came out and get better accuracy. Nothing I have ever shot with either bullet has made it more than a couple of steps before piling up. You just can't go wrong with the standard 280 with todays powders and bullets and a good bolt action rifle that allows the cartridge to be loaded to its full potential.

Back