280 Remington Grand Slam

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I’ve found acceptable accuracy with the 150 grain Nosler E-Tips, Partitions and Ballistic Tips in the 280.
Going to try some of the 150 Grain Solid Base and see if they do as well.
I’ve taken deer with the E-Tip and Ballistic Tip and would like to do the same with the Partition and Solid Base at some point.
7b6a92eb1dd5ce8cc3289ca054007a2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say whichever you choose, you'll be set for deer. There is no bad choice among them. When I read the title I thought you loaded the Speer grand-slam bullet for your 280.

The Grand Slam used to be a favoured bullet in my .280. Speer became somewhat difficult to find in this particular region, so I gradually shifted to other pills for my .280. It is a great bullet at .280 velocities.

DrMike said:
The Grand Slam used to be a favoured bullet in my .280. Speer became somewhat difficult to find in this particular region, so I gradually shifted to other pills for my .280. It is a great bullet at .280 velocities.[/quote
Lol!! That was my dad’s favorite to load in his old 7mm Rem Mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would be happy with the 150 BT for deer. I always like .280 Rem threads as I have always had the itch to have one. Sad part being from Iowa I usually only get one trip West and my other Rifles don't used enough and to be truth full I really don't need as many as I have. Don't tell my Wife though.

Rednek rampager":27fdq2at said:
DrMike":27fdq2at said:
The Grand Slam used to be a favoured bullet in my .280. Speer became somewhat difficult to find in this particular region, so I gradually shifted to other pills for my .280. It is a great bullet at .280 velocities.[/quote
Lol!! That was my dad’s favorite to load in his old 7mm Rem Mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In fact, one of my "go to" loads for the 7RM for many years was the 175 grain Grand Slam. It worked quite well on everything I every hunted. I did change up to the 175 grain TBBC, and when that was no longer available, I switched to the 175 grain PT. I have never noticed a difference in the manner in which game yielded up the ghost with any of these bullets.

In my first few 280 rifles I used 160/162 gr bullets from various manufacturers with great success.
My current 280 (semi-custom LH Rem 700) has shown an affinity for 140 gr AccuBonds, but since getting my Model 88 rebarrelled to 7mm-08, and am using the 160 gr AccuBonds in the 7MM STW, I am wanting to switch to a 150 gr bullet in the 280, and am thinking that the AccuBond will be my first choice.

I too am a big fan of the 280 Rem...just haven't been using it enough lately with playing with loads in my newer rifles and using them for hunting in order to break them in on game.
I will have to make 2021, the Year of the 280 Rem!

Back