.280 Ross

dcd,

I hope to have my dies any time now. I'll be doing some load work up. It is my hope to use my Model 10 on deer this year.

Now you need to add a Swiss staight pull to your collection if you don't have one already. They are one of the most accurate vintage military rifles available. Very fine examples of old-school machining and engineering. They are currently abundant and reasonably priced. Most are very well cared for except the stocks.

Beautiful rifle. Been looking for a shootable Ross myself but they're rare as hen's teeth down here. I've only seen a couple of sporterized .303 models and a couple of parts guns in several years of looking.

Polaris, I have both the Model 5 (303) and the Model 10 (280). There are some around. Prices tend to be pretty optimistic on some of them.

Since GunBroker opened shop online, everybody who sells anything prices items as though they have brick plus mortar overhead and have to make a salary on their stuff! But I guess that works for me because I get more than I would locally, undercut many of these guys who act like they have overhead and have to sell for more than new. Plus, I sell fast!

Bulls and bears make money, pigs don't! (LOL)

That's a nice rifle. It looks sleek and begs to be taken hunting. Craftsmanship like that would cost a prohibitive price at todays labor cost. You did very well indeed. I've read a little about the 280 Ross and it's potential so I'll be interested in the range reports on it.

Greg, I'm waiting on the dies, as I have no ammunition for this rifle. I do have some limited components to permit some work=ups. As soon as the dies arrive, I'll make up some initial loads and see what gives.

Oldtrader3":3pu7fjmz said:
Since GunBroker opened shop online, everybody who sells anything prices items as though they have brick plus mortar overhead and have to make a salary on their stuff! But I guess that works for me because I get more than I would locally, undercut many of these guys who act like they have overhead and have to sell for more than new. Plus, I sell fast!

Bulls and bears make money, pigs don't! (LOL)

Yes, but at the same time there are some real deals to be found if a guy is patient and knows what he's looking for!

I'm also finding that speaking with the seller can move people, if you know what is being sold and its value. Knowing the cost of shipping can be an asset as well.

Gents:
I will try to attach a photo of my 1910 Ross during a morning of load testing. If this does not work, please bear with me while I figure this attachment business out.

DCD

Attachments

• .280 Ross photos 002.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 745
That is very neat, Dick. I hope to get mine out to the range in this coming week. I really like the Ross. Yours looks to be in good shape. What's your load?

I'm still working on a favorite load, Dr. Mike. The rifle seems to like heavier bullets best, so I'm shooting 175 gr. Hornady spire points. I have a box of Woodleigh's but I'll save them until I get matters more fine-tuned, since they are so pricey. So far I've used IMR4350 from 52gr. up to 56 gr. Velocities have been modest in the 2500-2600fps range. Still more work to do. I have a 65 yard range in the back yard and accuracy has been running about in the 2 1/2" range. I've shot up what ammo I had reloaded and now have to load up some more. I'm curious to see if the rifle likes cast bullets at all. I have some 7mm silhouette bullets from a Lyman mold that might work with XMP5744 powder. Might be fun?

I just got home, but I will be loading this week. More later.

SJB358":3p83uzwf said:
DrMike":3p83uzwf said:
The remainder of the 348 Win brass that came with the rifle will be reserved for a Model 71 (I acknowledge that brass lying around is a dangerous thing--it attracts rifles).

Now your talking! I have a set of dies for the 348... It is touch and go sometimes.. Those M71's are some awesome rifles. Hopefully Winchester puts a few out this year!

The 348 was always on my want list! Just too spendy to play with

Back