3 generation caribou hunt was a success!!

stinky

Beginner
Apr 9, 2006
i could write a book about it but i will try to keep it short. If anyone saw my post in " i haven't seen my rifle in 2 years", you knew my 7mm rem mag broke a week before the trip and that savage repaired it for me and sent it back in two days... great! So lets just check it out before we leave... Dang if it didn't do it again! 24 hours to the trip!! I borowed a rem 700 in 300 win mag from a friend and sorry to say, i found no nosler ammo on my way up north. I did however find a nice rem700 in 300 on sale at gander mountain which i topped off with a nikon monarch. No problems at the border and bore sighted the new gun in out the window of the hilton!!!! The next day we flew on a 727 to Kuujjuaq and then a bush plane 150 mi west to camp. Strip was about a mile from camp and we saw about 4 caribou during the short walk. We settled in at camp then sighted in. The new 300 that i bore sighted out the hilton window was 2" high and to the right at 200 yds. Not too bad... My 12yo son shot his 30-06 at 200 with east although he has never shot beyond 100 at home. The old man did well too. It was drizzling and a good night to get our stuff ready for day 1 and eat some soup. Day 1 was windy and rainy. About 42F and 25-35mph winds. We found a beautiful herd on a point we stalked to for my sons first ever big game animal. He was layed out on the wet tundra as i told him i had the wifes camera rolling so he better make it count! He shot and connected with what looked like a great shot but proved otherwise. We were never able to get closer than 400 yds after that and I asked my son if he wanted me to finish him. He replied no, I hit him i need to finish him. I was proud but after about 2 mi of chase, he was too far ahead and the guide believed we did not hit him as well as we thought. About 6 hrs later my son connected with a single well placed shot and tagged his first caribou(125 yds)! Day 2 was horrible! Driving rain, sleet and snow with winds between 45-65 mph. My son and i went out but because of his health my father stayed behind. It wasn't much of a day but by lunch time, all we could think of was getting dry and warm. On day 3 I shot my first bou at 175 yds. Day four was a great day with my father and my son tagging two bulls side by side! I sould not have been happier! There was something special seeing the two of them layed out reading their shot! Dads was at 150 and my sons was at 200! Later my father shot his 2nd bull at a spot called "Jimmy Houstons Crack" ( a long story) We watched this bull for 5 hours! He's move 60' and bed, get up an hour later and move 60' and bed for and hour. Finally he got up and crossed the river for a 200 yd shot which went well untill he decided to try to get back in the water and fell in about 4' of water surrounded by slippery rocks. I found out why i was there then! On the last day of hunting i found a small pack of bulls and picked one out at 285yds! Great fishing was had by all as well. I only caught one but it was a 38" lake trout. My father and son caught another dozen or so brook trout and lakers. What a great time! If someone could tell me how i could post some pics!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your hunt.
Post some pictures!

JD338

Caribou06094.jpg

[/img]
Caribou06038.jpg

Caribou06044.jpg

[/img]
Caribou06054.jpg

Caribou06073.jpg

[/img]
Caribou06086.jpg

MY FAVORITE
Caribou06130.jpg
[/img]

Great pictures and fantastic memories!

JD338

by the way, thats my new rem 700 in the pic with my father holding it.

Back