3 SHOT OR 5 SHOT GROUP

With hunting rifles I use 3 shot groups because I have never fired more than 2 shots at a big game animal,and can't imagine needing more than 3.However a 5 shot group will be a better indicator of your rifles accuracy.

Steve's got it - and there are other reasons to stick with a 3-shot group when testing for accuracy. Most hunters use a rifle with a relatively light contour sporter barrel, often chambered for cartridges that burn a fairly large charge of gunpowder. This really heats up a barrel in a hurry. Excess heat isn't good for either barrel life or accuracy.

I too stick with three-shot groups for my hunting rifles. They tell me which loads are more accurate, and which combos should have never left my loading bench!

In a heavier barreled match rifle, or a varmint rifle that is expected to maintain accuracy over an extended period of firing - it makes sense to use 5-shot groups, or more. Essentially, in a long-range prone match, the competitor is firing a 15 - 20 shot string. Prone competition is judged by score, not by groups, but consistent accuracy over the string of fire is essential. I'd imagine the guys who do high-volume varmint shooting at a prairie dog town also want consistent accuracy over a long period of firing too.

Also - just for what it's worth - I don't believe in sitting at a bench and firing a lot of groups. I build my load, using the bench or prone for testing, to remove as much human element as possible - then I get the heck off the bench and do most of my shooting from prone, sitting, standing, kneeling and some field improvised variations of those positions. I see no point in continued bench shooting when my goal is good field accuracy.

Now - if I was a benchrest competitor, I'd have a different view on that.

Regards, Guy

3 shots test the load, 5 shots test the shooter.

JD338

GermanShorthair":2hwdjn04 said:
When shooting a gun to check for accuracy which is the standard to go by?
3 shot group or 5 shot group???

3 shot always. If there is a question then 2 3 shot groups.

All of my rifles are hunting oriented. Even my 22-250 is a LVSF, light weight, geared more for predator hunting than the various rats. So 3 shots have been my standard.

Long

I agree 100%.
For hunting 3 shot groups. As Guy said some barrels heat and shift, especially with wood stocks. I have sighted in and got my zero after 10 or 12 shots and then :) shot a nice group to verify only to find out that when cold the group was 2 inches to the left and low. The first shots from a cold barrel are what count when hunting.
Good luck and Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I shoot 3 shot groups for all my hunting rifles and 5 or 10 shot groups from my competition rifles.

Back