30-06, 165 gr BT, IMR 4451

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I loaded some cartridges today for Caleb's 30-06 using the 165 gr BT and IMR 4451. I set the seating depth for .010 " jump to the lands. The results are shown below. The IMR website lists 57.4 gr. as their max load. The Quick Load projection was much lower. However, my velocities were substantially less than either the IMR website or Quick load predicted. I getting about what Quick Load said I would get with a 10% decrease in burning rate relative to nominal value.

Shots 7, 8, and 9 were at 57.0 grains and measure .75".

The rifle is a Savage model 111. The scope was NOT adjusted for my eyes.

Caleb's Rifle.JPG

I saw the same thing with 4451. Although that node at 7-8-9 wouldn’t be a horrible load either.

7, 8, 9 is a decent group for a hunting rifle in my book.

22" barrel? A velocity of 2700 - 2750 - 2800 with a good 165 is a fine combo.

My son's 30-06 has a stubby 21" barrel and produces velocities around 2750 fps with our pet H4350 load. That velocity is similar to what I've seen from a 24" .308 Win rifle. He's taken game out a bit beyond 300 yds with it. Accuracy is similar to your 7,8,9 shot group, but not quite as good frankly.

Guy

Scotty and Guy, thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. This will have to do for this year since I am out of time to do anything else. I hope to locate some RL16 or H4350 to work with before next year. Also, I think I will get a Redding Competition seating die. I am not getting the great concentricities that I get when I reload for the 270 with the competition seating die.

I am really hoping I can get Caleb on a nice buck this fall.

Dan

NYDAN":lsb5znru said:
Scotty and Guy, thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. This will have to do for this year since I am out of time to do anything else. I hope to locate some RL16 or H4350 to work with before next year. Also, I think I will get a Redding Competition seating die. I am not getting the great concentricities that I get when I reload for the 270 with the competition seating die.

I am really hoping I can get Caleb on a nice buck this fall.

Dan

For sure Dan, that will only improve things. Still, if you loaded up the middle charge of 7-8-9 and zeroed him for 200 yards I'd bet he could hunt a lifetime in bliss of not knowing he is missing anything.

We would know and you know, but we are loonies, not sure about Caleb though! :lol:

SJB358":3pk9qrzb said:
For sure Dan, that will only improve things. Still, if you loaded up the middle charge of 7-8-9 and zeroed him for 200 yards I'd bet he could hunt a lifetime in bliss of not knowing he is missing anything.

We would know and you know, but we are loonies, not sure about Caleb though! :lol:

LOL. Scotty, you are so right! However, I thought that as a member of this forum it was my responsibility to try to convert Caleb to be a gun/hunting loony also.......

Dan is working on me! Last night I was thinking about different bullets and stuff with my gun all night. My wife is rolling her eyes at me, but enjoys watching me get into a new hobby. Dan and I did some penetration test this afternoon (I'll post the results soon) and got the gun sighted in for this season. Next season we shall do some more accurate adjustments and tweaking. Dan is a very good and patient teacher!

Caleb

Welcome aboard, Caleb. You're in good company with Dan. Hand loading (and the subsequent shooting) is a source of considerable pleasure for true gun cranks. Hope your time here is extended, productive and enjoyable. Great people posting here.

DrMike":ba9fj1l2 said:
Welcome aboard, Caleb. You're in good company with Dan. Hand loading (and the subsequent shooting) is a source of considerable pleasure for true gun cranks. Hope your time here is extended, productive and enjoyable. Great people posting here.

Welcome aboard!

+3, Welcome aboard, hunt hard and shoot straight!

FYI - I'm using 54.2-54.5 grains of IMR 4451 with a 165 grain Core-Lokt in the mid to low 2600fps range. I am very happy with the accuracy and low recoil of the load. I don't consider it suitable for Elk or other large critters, but for 300 yard and closer whitetail deer, coyotes and other mid to small game it is adequate. It is my favorite plinking (I mean offhand practice) load out to 400 yards.

Caleb I hope you have loads of fun and enjoy the comradery.

I ran into the same situation with my 7/08 and RL-19. Nosler data and a couple of my forum friends indicated that it was a Gotta Try powder, yeilding superior velocity and accuracy. Well the results were....abysmal. Over 250fps slower than predicted and accuracy only in line with a couple of others that got me right on the predicted velocity. Kinda put a knot in my Under-Roo's because it was a real pain finding the powder.

Traded the rest of the 1# canister to a friend in exchange for some small pistol primers.

I look at it this way. When I found out I had high blood pressure my DR prescribed an initial medication. Wrong! Damn near floored me. Second try was better, but still.....He told me "It's not that the medication is bad, we just have to find the right one for you" .

We did.

And you'll find the 'right' one for your rifle, just keep at it. Rifles are like people in that aspect.

Varget & Lotril were mine.

Back