30-06 Five Shoot group Under an Inch-AA2495BR

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I was able to day to shoot a five shot group under and inch at .752" with my 30-06 Hawkeye with a 165gr bullet averaging over 11 shots 2923fps and for hunting this will due. I will not win a match with this rifle but I will kill game with it and it still out shoots some out of the box rifles in it's price range. I will only do a little tweaking now with this load by adjusting the seating depth to see if it will tighten up just a bit.

Six shot group and I pulled the 4 shot
IMG_8406.jpg

Then I shot a three shot group
IMG_8397.jpg

Then decided to go a head and make it a five shot group (the tape is covering a 358Win hole)
IMG_8401.jpg

IMG_8402.jpg

IMG_8403.jpg

Velocity, Deviation and Extreme Spread
IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8395.jpg

IMG_8396.jpg

DrMike":2d0d6kv0 said:
Mike,

It's a winner, for sure. Congratulations.

Thanks Mike, now just a little tweaking with my seating, but for all intents and purposes it is ready to go. WOW!!! Took a lot of work and shooting with this one but I certainly am pleased at where I find myself with this rifle and doing nothing to it except shooting it.

JD338":23lj6r2m said:
Nice shooting Mike!

JD338

Thaks JD338, it is the best I can do with loading consistently and trying to shoot consistently. I had to be as consistent as possible loading my loads and shooting with this rifle, because there is no forgiveness here with this not being a custom or modified rifle with a wood stock. I do think, that with a little tweaking of the seating I might be able to close it up just a bit. I will find out sometime next week.

Looks like you really got it together now bullet, great velocities too :grin: :grin:

What was your load and powder and which bullet?

Thanks I am playing with my 06 and have not got it all together as a new reloader but its close.

ehunter":htp7z04a said:
What was your load and powder and which bullet?

Thanks I am playing with my 06 and have not got it all together as a new reloader but its close.

I was using AA2495BR and you should start at 50grs and work up in half grain steps. The bullet was the 165gr Sierra HPBT.

thanks for info I only can find and have right now H4350. So I am playing with it today I had my first 3 shot group at a inch. What was funny was I thought I had the OAL figured out but these were seated shorter and they shot much better I may be back at the drawing board again. 58 grain H4350 and 165 gr AccuBond. I was playing with this load and at 330 OAL and my other load were at 344 and I thought they were tight. I am going to reload some at the shorter lenght and try them again Tuesday.

Bullet, I would say you are there. I am not sure I would mess with that load at all. Those are perfectly good groups for a hunting rifle, and that velocitiy is quite good as well.

Just a word to the wise, though. I quit using Accurate Arms powders some time ago due to lot to lot variations. I would be quite carefull when switching lots of their powders. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but I have seen simply terrible variations from lot to lot, especially with AA 2015.

But, once again, good load development and shooting.

R Flowers":3paq82a4 said:
Bullet, I would say you are there. I am not sure I would mess with that load at all. Those are perfectly good groups for a hunting rifle, and that velocitiy is quite good as well.

Just a word to the wise, though. I quit using Accurate Arms powders some time ago due to lot to lot variations. I would be quite carefull when switching lots of their powders. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but I have seen simply terrible variations from lot to lot, especially with AA 2015.

But, once again, good load development and shooting.

Yes, there is a variation in lots with AA but I have over seven pounds of this lot and it will be dedicated to this Ruger 06.

Here is a group I shot with a Mark V 06 at 2972fps
IMG_7984.jpg

Back