.30-06 Powder Question

TenMileHunter

Beginner
Jan 25, 2017
I'm getting back into reloading after a few years layoff. I used to reload .25-06 with 100gr BT.
I prefer the heavier bullets for the .30-06 for whitetail like the 165gr.
I'm using Norma brass with WLR primers and powering 165gr AccuBond & 165gr BT.
Based on this information, I can't find my favorite powder here locally which is IMR 4350.
My question: what powder can I use as a replacement?
Thanks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend you go after IMR 4451. Same burn rate as 4350 but temp stable and seems to be easier to find. H4350 is also good but rare as hen's teeth.

Welcome aboard and welcome to hand loading after a period away.

Several powders can work with similar burn rates to IMR 4350. As mentioned, H4350 will work well. Accurate 4350 is also a good alternative. As mentioned, IMR 4451 is a good choice for working up a load. If IMR powders are generally available, IMR 4831 and IMR 4064 may be good choices. Ramshot Hunter and Alliant ReLoder 17 would each work quite well with that weight of bullet. You're in a good territory that is populated with a plethora of powders that should work quite well for you.

IMR 4064 was magic in my rifle with 150 and 165 BT. Not so much with 180s

salmonchaser":2kg9ayej said:
IMR 4064 was magic in my rifle with 150 and 165 BT. Not so much with 180s

Same here.

I have used H4350 with 165s with good results. I wouldn't hesitate to try IMR4451 also

Vihtavuori N-550 is a use full powder in the 30-06 that I find's not too temp sensitive.
I get 2887 fps with 54 grs behind the 165gr BT.
58 grs gives me 3060 fps behind the 150gr BT.
ES and SD are less than H-4350.
Billy

Guys,
Thanks for your replies. I'll run by Sportsmans Warehouse in Southaven and see if I can grab a couple of pounds of what y'all suggested..
Take care an may God bless.

Welcome aboard TenMileHunter, I am sure that you are going to enjoy your time here as there are a great bunch of people with a unlimited knowledge on this passion of ours :wink:.
Range reports with photos are always welcome (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dan... I've been reading the posts and I really enjoy what I've read...
Ron

The 4350's are excellent in the .30-06, particularly with 165 gr bullets - but the 4350's can be difficult to obtain now. I'm fortunate to have quite a supply of the stuff. Whew! My .30-06 does real well with H4350 and a 165 grain Ballistic Tip.

The 4451's are new, and are supposed to be an excellent replacement for the 4350 powders. Haven't tried them yet, but that's their role.

Welcome to the forum!

Guy

I've always preferred IMR4350 for my 30-06 and 280, and the H4350 works well too but seems harder to find. When powder was hard to come by I tried both H414 and IMR4064 because it seemed like they were always on the shelf. They both worked fine as well. I never got quite the accuracy that I get from IMR4350, so when it became available I went right back to IMR4350 and laid in a supply of it. But it's always good to know I have other powders I can go to that are more than adequate for hunting and shooting.

If I were starting over or just getting started, I'd want a good supply of H4350 or one of the new IMR powders that are temp stable. However, someone here once posted a chart of FPS as effected by temperature change, and some of the old standby powders weren't too bad. Certainly not enough that most people would notice a shift in impact out to 200-300 yards. But you might at long distance. Good luck with your load development and let us know how it goes.

Thanks Bret. Y'all are a wealth of great information.
Ron

Back