30/06 sprfld. primers wanting to back out.

B. Carlton

Beginner
Dec 6, 2004
:? Starting loading some 30/06, Some with Rem. Cor/lok's and another batch with nosler spitzer ballistic tip. Both bullets are 165 grain. The receipe I am using is straight from Richard Lee's Modern Reloading second edition on page 449, Which say's 47.0 grains of hodgon's Varget will give you 2726 fps. This is a used gun, but in very good condition. I took the advice of some other experienced shooters and loaded up two different, but like grain weight bullets with this same receipe. I am using PACT digital dispensor/scales for measuring. Lubing, measuring and trimming each individual case before I reload. This is my normal routine, only the core/lok's have a crimp grove (which I do crimp slightly) and the Nosler (of course) does not have a crimp grove. (not crimped)
I noticed tonight when I went to place my brass in the media tumbler for cleaning that a lot of the primers where trying to back out. Just a fraction, maybe 2-4 thousands, but I know I setted them fully at the repriming phase. After looking at them closer and comparing them with factory loaded shells shot out of the same gun, the factory shells were just fine and that's what has me concerned.
Can someone help me and give me some idea of what I am doing wrong here. By the way I am using Winchester large rifle primers for standard rifle loads, which I was told that it was a very popular primer to use for almost all 30 caliber loads.
Please let me know

P.S. The nosler 165 grn Spitzer Ballistic Tips a keeping a consistant silver dollar group at 100 yrds. The Cor/lok's are no where close to that!!!

B.Carlton
the 47.0 gr of varget would be considered starting load in this combination
this is from Hodgden's website

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/30-06.php

what is hapining is that when the cartg is fired the case neck and shoulder's expand to the walls of the chamber (and get a grip on same)the primer moves rearward and is stopped by the boltface,as pressure within the cartg case increases it pushes the base of the cartg back down over the primer,if you dont have enough pressure for the case to completely reseat the primer then you will have a situation as what you describe.
this in no way indicates excess headspace(differant situation entirely)
at least that's the way I understand the sequence of events

I have gone down that road with a P-17 ,a WW I 30.06,that could be your headspace.However if the load is very light your case might have shortened,measure before and after.At a moderate load the case will remain the same giving you an headspace number with the primer protruding.At a brisk load the headspace number will be added to your case length and your primer will look normal.I had .011",now I have a 308Norma.

I guess my frist question is: Am I in any danger?? Next is should I increse my load or try a different powder?
Thanks Sgt. for your help.
B. Carlton

1st cav sgt ret said:
B.Carlton

the 47.0 gr of varget would be considered starting load in this combination
this is from Hodgden's website

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/30-06.php

what is hapining is that when the cartg is fired the case neck and shoulder's expand to the walls of the chamber (and get a grip on same)the primer moves rearward and is stopped by the boltface,as pressure within the cartg case increases it pushes the base of the cartg back down over the primer,if you dont have enough pressure for the case to completely reseat the primer then you will have a situation as what you describe.
this in no way indicates excess headspace(differant situation entirely)
at least that's the way I understand the sequence of events

OK, in your opinion am I in any danger here?? What would you do or suggest at this point.
Thanks for your input
B. Carlton

Downwindtracker2 said:
I have gone down that road with a P-17 ,a WW I 30.06,that could be your headspace.However if the load is very light your case might have shortened,measure before and after.At a moderate load the case will remain the same giving you an headspace number with the primer protruding.At a brisk load the headspace number will be added to your case length and your primer will look normal.I had .011",now I have a 308Norma.

It sounds like the load is just too light as mentioned above, and it is toward the lower end according to most data sources. There's no real danger to that though.

Usually when you have a headspace problem, the primers will end up getting flattened, making you think you have high pressures even if you don't. Excessive head space can be dangerous because the excessive case stretch can lead to a case rupture.

Since you said the factory ammo looked fine (I'm assuming no flattened primers), I'm fairly certain it's just due to a light load.

I agree with squrrel
it doesn't sound like youre in any trouble,just a light load
the webpage I listed for you list's a charge of 50.5 as being Max so you should be able to increase your charge weight (useing the 165 gr bullet's,I think there's a misprint or something cause what you listed at 47gr's is max for a 180gr bullet)

Headspace for the 30.06: Go= 0.00",chambers rounds,No-Go= +0.006", it's time to fix,Field =+0.009",this is for wartime rifles.

Headspace problems :

It gives the case a running start against the lugs,not breaking them but worsening the problem.

It chews brass, the case get stretched then squeezed back with a Full Length resizing die.Enough times the case gets thin just up from the base.This is not a good thing.

Danger,I wouldn't say so,but it's not against my face.I shot that P-17 knowing the problem,I just neck-sized the fire-formed cases with Lee's Collet die.I also used moderate loads.
I found my two 30.06 F/L dies,a Lee and a RCBS both resized the cases .001 undersize.I would suggest you measure before and after.Measure both the case length and over the primer afterwards.

I would say you have the classic symptoms of a load that is too light. Go up one grain at a time to about 50 grains, and see if the problem does not disappear. I've seen this quite a number of times with light handloads. As a matter of fact, In the 300 Savage, and the 8x57, Factory loads are often light enough to display this characteristic. Regards, Eagleye.

Back